PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Issues with Ubuntu CD

braian-k
May 31st, 2009, 07:51 PM
Hello, I'm new here, I came because I've got a problem, hope you can help me. I tried several times with several severs to download ubuntu 9.04 x64 from the ubuntu page, but I always get download corrupted because my connection is very unstable. The last time I tried to download ubuntu 9.04 x64 I got a 696mb iso file, but I wasn't able to burn it, I always got errors... So I was going to try to install it via USB but I noticed I couldn't copy some files because I've got 0kb files... So I thought definetly that my ISO file is corrupted, so I wanted to ask if is there a place to download the ISO compressed in KGB or something like that or links to download it in parts. Hope you can help me. Thanks.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 31st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Have you tried to download from one of the torrents?

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#bt

You will also need UNetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to put the ISO on the USB stick.

braian-k
May 31st, 2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks for your response, then I'm gonna try to download it via torrent. One more thing, would you explain me exactly how to burn it? I'm not completely sure because my CD writer only allows me to burn it at 10x (that's the lowest speed9. Will I have any problem with booting if I burn it at that speed?

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 2nd, 2009, 01:54 AM
Thanks for your response, then I'm gonna try to download it via torrent. One more thing, would you explain me exactly how to burn it? I'm not completely sure because my CD writer only allows me to burn it at 10x (that's the lowest speed9. Will I have any problem with booting if I burn it at that speed?

I have a desktop that can burn a CD at 4X, and the CDs work every time. I have a laptop that can not burn at less than 10X, and the CDs almost never work. That is why I suggest UNetbootin to put it on a USB stick.

thraxsa
June 2nd, 2009, 01:58 AM
Maybe a long shot, but try going to a newsagent and have a look at magazines in the computing section.

I would think that it would not be long before publications will be distributing the latest Ubuntu on cover dvd's ....

Yvan300
June 2nd, 2009, 02:16 AM
If you have time, use the slowest burn speed available, this prevents errors.
I did it with both my jaunty and intrepid CD's and they work fine. Oh and i guess you'll need a program that burns iso files.

lswb
June 2nd, 2009, 02:55 AM
I have the same experience with laptop cd drives, after a year or 2 of knocking around they just can't reliably write a data cd at top speed anymore. I have to set mine to 2X or 4X to get a good ISO (Faster is OK for music CDs though)

If you can wait a week or so and have a few dollars, there are several sellers on ebay who have reasonably priced CDs ($5 range) and even USB drives (1GB bootable USB with 9.04, $10-15) I used to get CDs this way back when I only had dialup.