PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will installing bind make internet faster???

Barriehie
May 31st, 2009, 02:50 PM
Title says it all. Excluding updates wouldn't having the DNS local speed up my browsing?

Thanks,
Barrie

steeleyuk
May 31st, 2009, 03:00 PM
It would speed up the initial DNS lookup but after that you wouldn't notice any difference.

Much better off using OpenDNS for home usage...

spd106
May 31st, 2009, 03:02 PM
It'll make DNS lookups quicker, but it won't improve download speeds and management overhead would be more trouble than it's worth, unless you have a medium to large network.

I think you would see more gains by just switching your DNS to a different provider such as opendns.com or installing a web proxy such as squid-proxy.

whoop
May 31st, 2009, 03:19 PM
It should make it a little faster (technically speaking), however if you are experiencing (too) slow internet speeds, this is not the solution (unless there is something wrong with the dns server(s) you are using).

It also varies per system/ISP etc. As a test I ping-ed google and sniffed the traffic:
Arrival time at dns server:
16:09:42.628632000
Arrival time at google server:
16:09:42.641536000

So me having my own dns server (on the same machine) would give me a 0.12904000 second speed increase. Not worth it in my case, and you also use more cpu and ram and diskspace with your own dns.

Conlusion for me, it's all negligible...

Barriehie
May 31st, 2009, 03:51 PM
I guess it's a patience thing... ;) I've tried adding opendns and my system is resolutely sticking with lv.cox.net. I even deleted it and it came back. I just hate seeing FF doing the looking up blah blah blah thing for several seconds!

Thanks All for your replies,
Barrie

whoop
May 31st, 2009, 03:56 PM
I guess it's a patience thing... ;) I've tried adding opendns and my system is resolutely sticking with lv.cox.net. I even deleted it and it came back. I just hate seeing FF doing the looking up blah blah blah thing for several seconds!

Thanks All for your replies,
Barrie
Are you using a router and dhcp? Maybe that's why your dns settings are being reset.

Barriehie
May 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Are you using a router and dhcp? Maybe that's why your dns settings are being reset.

No router, computer to cable modem, cable modem to COX. It does say my address is dhcp.

Barrie

shel-hall
May 31st, 2009, 06:48 PM
If you install BIND on another machine on your network, not on your workstation, you can achieve speed gains in two ways:

1. Long-term local caching of DNS entries, limited only by the server's uptime and the DNS entries' time-to-live.

2. Less traffic on your 'net connection (DSL, cable, whatever).

A third possible source of speed gain is to have your DNS server become "authoritative" for domains from whom you wish no actual content, primarily advertising servers. By redirecting all requests for, say, doubleclick.com to 127.0.0.1, you can reduce the traffic on your 'net connection. See http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/.

You could, of course, run BIND on your workstation, but the processing overhead, especially if you go with the third suggestion above, would probably outweigh the speed gain resulting from the decreased 'net traffic.

-Shel