PDA

View Full Version : desktop switcher and auto-maximized windows

Oreo
May 31st, 2009, 01:51 PM
I liked the default interface for UNR, but there seemed to be no way to add a desktop switcher to it. Are there some tweaks like this that are currently possible?

I switched to the Classic Desktop Mode.
I have that mode (and maybe UNR's default mode), all program windows start maximized. I guess they figured that the screen is so small, everyone would want windows to start maximized all the time. I have one important program that causes multiple windows. I always work with those windows carefully arranged on my desktop. Now they all start maximized. :( Where is the setting to change back to Ubuntu's default?-- which is that Ubuntu will remember the last state the windows were in when the program was closed.

In Classic Desktop Mode, I have no icons on the desktop. Actually, I like this. But someday when I want to work with a cluttered desktop again, how do I turn on the icons?

Thanks!

Oreo
May 31st, 2009, 09:52 PM
I found my answer to the auto-maximized windows question:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1170468&highlight=turn+auto+maximize

Go to Preferences>Startup Programs and uncheck the Mamximus block.

Oreo
May 31st, 2009, 11:39 PM
After installing and playing with CompizConfig Settings Manager, logging off and back on, disabling all desktop effects, and switching between the two desktop modes, my icons have appeared on the desktop. Now how do I switch them off without turning on Compiz effects again?