PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE 4.2 display whole file name on mouseover

oliwally
May 31st, 2009, 12:18 PM
Is there a way to convince KDE 4.2 to display the whole filename on mouseover. Otherwise, when the file's name is too long to display under the icon, I have to go into 'properties' or change the view mode of that folder.

Screwdriver0815
May 31st, 2009, 12:36 PM
go into "properties" --> "set up Dolphin" (or how ever it is in english).

There you go to "views" on the lefthand side and check the hook at "show information"

oliwally
May 31st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Vielen Dank Screwdriver0815! (I knew my German heritage would come in handy one day).

That works well in Dolphin. For some reason I didn't even have to switch or tick anything. It just started working once I went into the view settings. Or perhaps I never even tried it in Dolphin...

However, is there a way of doing the same for the Desktop Folder widget, so that when I mouse over the icons there (on my desktop, not in the desktop folder through Dolphin) the pop-up will display with more file info?

GeneralZod
May 31st, 2009, 01:12 PM
However, is there a way of doing the same for the Desktop Folder widget, so that when I mouse over the icons there (on my desktop, not in the desktop folder through Dolphin) the pop-up will display with more file info?

I don't think there is in 4.2 - in 4.3, you'll have this, however:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Ep3VaiHZE

oliwally
May 31st, 2009, 01:19 PM
I don't think there is in 4.2 - in 4.3, you'll have this, however:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Ep3VaiHZE

Thanks for that. Looks quite cool! I'll be looking forward to 4.3.

So, I'm assuming it's not possible in 4.2, unless anyone else has a suggestion?

Screwdriver0815
May 31st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Vielen Dank Screwdriver0815! (I knew my German heritage would come in handy one day).

That works well in Dolphin. For some reason I didn't even have to switch or tick anything. It just started working once I went into the view settings. Or perhaps I never even tried it in Dolphin...

cheers! ;) :D

maybe you can try to fiddle a little bit with the preview?
For that right-click on the widget, go to "set up folders view" (or something like that) and then in the category "display": "show preview" there are some more advanced settings to do. But to be honest I did not understand what they do, so maybe my suggestion is useless.

oliwally
May 31st, 2009, 09:25 PM
cheers! ;) :D

maybe you can try to fiddle a little bit with the preview?
For that right-click on the widget, go to "set up folders view" (or something like that) and then in the category "display": "show preview" there are some more advanced settings to do. But to be honest I did not understand what they do, so maybe my suggestion is useless.

Thanks again for your help. I had a play with those settings but to no avail. It will show a small preview of the file instead of an icon, but the full file name stays abbreviated.