PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't use Compiz or Jaunty

notanerd
May 31st, 2009, 09:25 AM
I am using Intrepid Ibex and I can't use compiz. I have used compiz check and it comes up with ok for all the checks. I can enable desktop effects from Preferences, but when I do my screen gets all pixelated and unusable. Interestingly the screen looks the same as when I use the Jaunty live cd, it is almost impossible to read anything off the screen.

I have an ATI mobility radeon 9600 graphics card and am using the open source driver.

I have attached a screenshot of my desktop after enabled desktop effects.

Has anyone else had the same problem and/or know how to fix this?

notanerd
June 1st, 2009, 02:54 AM
No love?

overdrank
June 1st, 2009, 06:41 AM
Hi and there are many threads on the forums with ATI and Jaunty issues. If you are using Intrepid have you tried setting to normal?
Also have you tried changing the resolution lower to see if this helps?

notanerd
June 1st, 2009, 07:55 AM
I am able to use Intrepid on the normal setting. That is what I am doing now. Seeing as how the same problems happens with both enabling compiz in Intrepid and just normally running Jaunty, I thought there might be a link between the two.

I am only able to select 60hz in Preferences/Screen Resolution

overdrank
June 1st, 2009, 09:08 AM
I am able to use Intrepid on the normal setting. That is what I am doing now. Seeing as how the same problems happens with both enabling compiz in Intrepid and just normally running Jaunty, I thought there might be a link between the two.

I am only able to select 60hz in Preferences/Screen Resolution

Hi and I was not speaking of the refresh rate of 60hz but the resolution itself. Like if you are using 1360x768 to something like 1024x768.
I have a older laptop with the ATI 7500 and it works well with Jaunty and with Hardy.

notanerd
June 1st, 2009, 09:17 AM
I changed the screen from 1280*800 to 1024*768 but it had the same effect when I enbaled desktop effects

notanerd
June 4th, 2009, 11:59 AM
bump

notanerd
June 10th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Until this problem is sorted I guess I am stuck with Intrepid, jaunty is unusable for me and I guess Karmic will be the same. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem could be?

notanerd
July 10th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I can't believe that I am the only person who has had this problem. I really would like to upgrade yo Jaunty but simply can't go beyond Intrepid until I can get help sorting this issue out