PDA

View Full Version : Nero Linux...

nolliecrooked
May 31st, 2009, 08:48 AM
do you use it, if not will you, or do you dislike having to buy the license?

Warpnow
May 31st, 2009, 08:55 AM
I don't find it has any features I need that I cannot get for free.

daverich
May 31st, 2009, 08:56 AM
I dont use it on my home linux box,- because I find I get along with the programs ubuntu already has.

That said, Nero on windows is one of the biggest bang/buck purchases I ever made.

I run a recording studio and use Nero everyday, but once you dig a little into it you'll discover an audio editor, a disk labelling package and all sorts of handy tools.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

nolliecrooked
May 31st, 2009, 09:00 AM
I dont use it on my home linux box,- because I find I get along with the programs ubuntu already has.

That said, Nero on windows is one of the biggest bang/buck purchases I ever made.

I run a recording studio and use Nero everyday, but once you dig a little into it you'll discover an audio editor, a disk labelling package and all sorts of handy tools.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

nice studio :D

binbash
May 31st, 2009, 09:21 AM
I am using it of course.It is the best burning application out there if you are burning more than 5 dvd/dvd/etc.k3b is also good but qt is killing it because of deps.

Pasdar
May 31st, 2009, 09:34 AM
Why would I use nero when I have k3b? What useful thing can nero do that k3b can't?

steeleyuk
May 31st, 2009, 10:08 AM
Brasero does everything I need so I use that.

I used to use Nero on Windows many years ago but it started to put on weight in version 6 and 7.

mcduck
May 31st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Why would I use it? There are numerous apps that handle the same task better and yet they cost nothing. :)

I wouldn't use Nero Linux even if I got it for free.

speedwell68
May 31st, 2009, 10:22 AM
Brasero is just fine. I don't really burn that many discs these days anyway.

abhilashm86
May 31st, 2009, 10:26 AM
the inbuilt cd/dvd writer does a good work, so why use nero?? even k3b is fine..............

nolliecrooked
May 31st, 2009, 10:38 AM
the inbuilt cd/dvd writer does a good work, so why use nero?? even k3b is fine..............

because the it dosent support .NRG or Blu-Ray, or HD-DVD. it dosent support transcoding of videofiles to DVD?

thats a start.

blueshiftoverwatch
May 31st, 2009, 11:12 AM
I was reading the Wikipedia page and it only says "The application replicates most features of the Windows version". What's it missing?

nolliecrooked
May 31st, 2009, 11:17 AM
I was reading the Wikipedia page and it only says "The application replicates most features of the Windows version". What's it missing?

its basically Burning Rom, without all the excess crap like SoundTrax etc...

meho_r
May 31st, 2009, 11:19 AM
As said before, no need for Nero when there's k3b and Brasero.

Screwdriver0815
May 31st, 2009, 11:23 AM
As said before, no need for Nero when there's k3b and Brasero.
the same...

fatality_uk
May 31st, 2009, 11:30 AM
I didn't even know they did a Linux version :)
£13.99, that's not bad at all!

Off to have a look at the trial :)

Pasdar
May 31st, 2009, 12:37 PM
because the it dosent support .NRG or Blu-Ray, or HD-DVD. it dosent support transcoding of videofiles to DVD?

thats a start.

Who uses nrg anyway? Some lamers on torrent sites? Even if you get an nrg, you simply convert it to iso and burn it.

Other than that, do you even burn blu-ray and HD-DVDs or are you just mentioning stuff you will use anyway? By the time the average user gets a bluray burner, you can be sure it'll also be in k3b and brasero.

medic2000
May 31st, 2009, 02:07 PM
No it is not needed plus it is proprietary isnt it? Brasero makes everything right.

Bungo Pony
May 31st, 2009, 04:33 PM
If Nero Vision was available for Linux, I'd use that. Otherwise, I don't need it.

fatality_uk
May 31st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Well Brasero doesn't work well in Jaunty for me. Just got the trail and everything works very well will more than likely buy this. Seems like a good app.

handy
June 1st, 2009, 09:52 AM
I quite often burn large runs on DVD media, when I say large I mean between 10 & 30 disks in a row.

Every native Linux burning package I have tried fails, in that I'll end up finding out later that there were errors (that I wasn't even informed about during the burning) or the burning software crashes sometime after 10 disks.

Anyway, I use NeroLinux, & I have never had any problem, not in versions 2 or 3.

I have no need to test the Linux natives anymore, it is not worth the possible failures that I may find out about months later.

Thankfully Nero don't charge very much for the license, which certainly helps their cause.

I think Nero is the only software I have bought to run under Linux since I started using Linux in October/November 2005.

243kof
June 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM
I started using Nero Linux about a year ago, because it was the only one that would let me write data to a dual-layer disc. How is the situation nowadays? Does Brasero support dual-layer?

fatality_uk
June 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
@handy, I am planning on buying Nero Linux for just those reasons. I have many years of photos stored on my servers and occasionally, I need to put them onto DVD. I am afraid that I can't be sure with what'sin Ubuntu and I can't take the chance that my data won't be there when I need it.

stinger30au
June 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM
i know for a fact that nero linux 3 is an insult to the linux community

if however ahead software decide to grow a spine and release at least version 6 of nero for linux, then i would gladly hand over the cash same as i did for windows and purchase the software

evermooingcow
June 1st, 2009, 10:55 AM
I don't have the data to comment on the burn failure rate of each of the major burning software for Linux but wouldn't "verify" catch any errors so that you woudn't get a burn error and not notice? Or is it not a very reliable check?

I have never used Nero for Linux - I have experience with K3B and plain cdrecord in CLI.

ctrlmd
June 1st, 2009, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't buy unless i find the available can't serve my needs

fatality_uk
June 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM

Want to expand on that a little?

handy
June 1st, 2009, 02:31 PM
I'm not saying that the FOSS Linux alternatives are no good. Far from it they are great, & I expect that they will serve nearly everyone's needs.

As stated previously they don't serve mine, due to the abnormally large number of DVDs that I burn consecutively from time to time; probably more than most would ever find a need to do in one big burning session in their entire lives.

Under the aforementioned circumstances NeroLinux doesn't fail me, so I use it.

Why? From my experience it is more robust than the FOSS natives were when I used them. Version 3, bought some nice interface improvements, after which as far as I'm concerned it wants for nothing.

If you are complaining because you think that the Linux version should have all that comes with the windows version? I don't agree, as I don't need anymore than it has now, I don't even need most of what it has now. & if NeroLinux did contain all of that which the windows version has, the price of a license would change from being very reasonable as it is now, to being somewhere around 400% more expensive.

I see no insult.

Orlsend
June 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM
I was not aware that there was nero for linux

norgeek
June 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM
nero is not the best app out there a lot of free apps that gets the job done ;)

monsterstack
June 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM
I'm perfectly content with cdrdao. But then I'm not afraid of the terminal and I wouldn't touch proprietary software with a barge-pole, so I'm a special case.

Tibuda
June 1st, 2009, 03:39 PM
My laptop come with a Nero CD for Windows, but I don't use it. I didn't even knew there is a Linux version.

meho_r
June 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM
I quite often burn large runs on DVD media, when I say large I mean between 10 & 30 disks in a row.

Every native Linux burning package I have tried fails, in that I'll end up finding out later that there were errors (that I wasn't even informed about during the burning) or the burning software crashes sometime after 10 disks.

Anyway, I use NeroLinux, & I have never had any problem, not in versions 2 or 3.

I have no need to test the Linux natives anymore, it is not worth the possible failures that I may find out about months later.

Thankfully Nero don't charge very much for the license, which certainly helps their cause.

I think Nero is the only software I have bought to run under Linux since I started using Linux in October/November 2005.

Lucky you. I had bad experiance with Nero on Windows. After some time many of DVDs simply "expired" after burning with Nero although there were not a single scratch and DVDs were kept in safe place. After switching to Ashampoo Burning Studio, there were not a single case of data loss. And Nero wasn't much more reliable on Windows than any burner on Linux.

@handy, I am planning on buying Nero Linux for just those reasons. I have many years of photos stored on my servers and occasionally, I need to put them onto DVD. I am afraid that I can't be sure with what'sin Ubuntu and I can't take the chance that my data won't be there when I need it.

Advice: after burning your data (no matter with what burner you do that), check your disks with dvdisaster and create recovery files (about 1/10 from the size of the disk). This way you can be pretty sure if your disks get damaged you can recover them.

sn0m
June 1st, 2009, 04:44 PM
Sorry, I use it and is great. Brassero did my heading when trying to burn audio cd, it would hang up while coding and take my time up. I have not had any problems since installing nero and in principle I like to pay for decent programs if I do not have the time to dive deep in the open source ones to be able to work aroung bugs and other issues.

handy
June 2nd, 2009, 01:16 AM
nero is not the best app out there a lot of free apps that gets the job done ;)

Depending on the users burning needs, I totally agree with you.

swoll1980
June 2nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
I use it. I bought a dvd burner that came with Nero for Windows, and talked them into giving me the Linux version for free.

Regenweald
June 2nd, 2009, 02:21 AM
In my early windows days I fell i love with nero, it was dependable and effecient. Roxio only ever made my machines severely unstable. I get the linux users who support Nero, paid or not it is great software. having said that, On my xp partition currently i use ImgBurn(simply the BEST) and Cd burnerXP.

I just completed burning OpenSolaris 2009.06 using ImgBurn in Wine and i would recommend it to all. at some point i will check out CD BurnerXp in wine and see what kind of performance i get. Free windows app + Wine=amazing results. Brasero gave me coasters the first 2 times i used it, and took a half hour to produce them.

handy
June 2nd, 2009, 02:30 AM
I use it. I bought a dvd burner that came with Nero for Windows, and talked them into giving me the Linux version for free.

Well done!

Who did you talk to, ahead via email?

swoll1980
June 2nd, 2009, 02:37 AM
Well done!

Who did you talk to, ahead via email?

I called Nero customer service, and argued with them for like half an hour.

handy
June 2nd, 2009, 02:38 AM
Lucky you. I had bad experiance with Nero on Windows. After some time many of DVDs simply "expired" after burning with Nero although there were not a single scratch and DVDs were kept in safe place. After switching to Ashampoo Burning Studio, there were not a single case of data loss. And Nero wasn't much more reliable on Windows than any burner on Linux.

Unlucky you. I never had trouble with any version of Nero on windows, except in the early days when not all media was handled well by all DVD drives. I've always stuck with Pioneer drives.

Perhaps it was a media, or media burner combination that was responsible for the problem you experienced?

I have many DVD's burned when DVD burners & Nero were very young & they are still operating reliably.

meho_r
June 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM
BTW, what is the status of Nero for Linux? Do they keep it up-to-date? It's v3 for a long time now or not? And in case of update, do you have to pay again for new version? I plan to give it a shot out of curiosity ;)

handy
June 4th, 2009, 12:18 PM
The license covers you until the prime version number changes, i.e. If you buy a license somewhere in v3.* you will have to buy a new license when it goes to v4.*.

As far as I'm concerned v4.* would really have to pull some magic out of the hat, because I'm totally satisfied with v3.*, which is of course updated (for free) from time to time.

pookiebear
June 4th, 2009, 02:22 PM
SOmeone mentioned NRG files. Poweriso shareware will burn a nrg file or let you look inside if you just need one file.

SunnyRabbiera
June 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM
On linux I say screw Nero, Brasero and K3B in my opinion beats Nero's windows version hands down.
I had one too many issues with Nero.
Granted I have had problems with K3B and Brasero, but its like 1 out of 10 disks that fail on me, but nero that rate went way up to like 7/10
On windows I also say screw nero, InfraRecorder kicks @$%^&

x33a
June 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM

and imgburn kicks @$$ too :D

handy
June 4th, 2009, 03:24 PM
On linux I say screw Nero, Brasero and K3B in my opinion beats Nero's windows version hands down.

As I have been saying; you may be absolutely right; of course, hardware & media combinations are a factor in the equation.

I only use Pioneer burners, the media I use varies though & I often get 100 of 100 perfect burns from a disk pack.

So, there is no way, I'm going to:

1. Change burner hardware brand.

2. Change burner software.

When your on a good thing & all that... :D

If the set of variables you are working under don't provide a good thing, then dump them quick smart.

Good logical sense I say.

I had one too many issues with Nero.
Granted I have had problems with K3B and Brasero, but its like 1 out of 10 disks that fail on me, but nero that rate went way up to like 7/10

As I said...

I've been using NeroLinux since early version 2.* on multiple distro's & have not had any problems, beyond 2 or 3 disks / 100.

You maybe right, I don't know? I haven't used windows to burn a disk since before October 2005.

steeleyuk
June 4th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I only use Pioneer burners

Same. When I need to buy a burner they're the only company I'll go for. They've been compatible with every bunch of discs I've tried as well.

Dimitriid
June 4th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I've used, nothing too spectacular. I still had to use DVD Decrypter under wine to properly burn PS1 backups in mode 2 ( since they all seem to come in *.bin format ) the ones I tried to burn on Nero Linux wouldn't be detected on the console.

handy
June 5th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I've used, nothing too spectacular. I still had to use DVD Decrypter under wine to properly burn PS1 backups in mode 2 ( since they all seem to come in *.bin format ) the ones I tried to burn on Nero Linux wouldn't be detected on the console.

I have no experience with PS1.

Nice to see you again Dimitriid :)

markharding557
June 5th, 2009, 11:25 PM
nero is one of the very few pieces of paid software that is actually worth paying for

fjf
June 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I purchased a license a year ago, when brasero would not burn double layer DVDs and K3b would not verify the burned DVDs. It just works. Maybe now the open source software has solved those problems, but I'll wait for the nerolinux v.4 (when I have to pay again) to check it out.

meho_r
October 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM
After hard testing, I must admit that Nero 4 works really fine. It is much faster than Brasero and k3b on my machine (about 30-40%, sometimes even more). For mass-burning it actually has no competition.

sudoer541
October 13th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I am gonna buy it soon! Or I will wait and see if I can buy it through ubuntu software center.

anonymous_user
October 14th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I keep Nero Linux as a backup. I wish the open source alternatives were more competitive on features though.

livigagl
October 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hello guys!
I've bought Nero Linux and I like it. Just this morning I received a coupon of $10 for a new purchase ($9.99 instead of $19.99).
I don't need it but I can give it for free to the first one that will ask it (it's valid for 3 days only).
The coupon is for US/Canadian/Brazil and Latin American cart only and cannot be applied to previous purchases nor combined with other offers.
Let me know if interested!
Please, only serious inquiries, if you won't buy it don't ask, maybe someone else need it...
Bye, Linux rulez! :-)