PDA

View Full Version : What's a good cross-platform web conferencing solution?

diablo75
May 31st, 2009, 04:34 AM
Someone I know would like to be able to host broadcasts of himself over the web to others, but in a way that it doesn't require any extra software on their end to install (or at most, a small plugin like flash or java, but nothing complicated like having to setup their own accounts as they would if everybody just went off about signed up for skype). So I was wondering if anyone knows of any web-based conferencing services out there that use flash or Java to present conferencing over the Internet while playing nice with both Linux and Windows (even apple) systems, or at least something that is close to what I'm looking for in function and easy of use.

MikeTheC
May 31st, 2009, 04:52 AM
http://leealumni.homestead.com/tin_can.jpg

diablo75
May 31st, 2009, 05:15 AM
Heh, we'll let me relax the question a bit:

What's a good web conferencing solution in general?

juancarlospaco
May 31st, 2009, 05:23 AM
Gmail chat. :)
Just a Jabber-like server but you dont have to deploy it.

anarchyinc
May 31st, 2009, 05:28 AM
Look up Pidgin, with it you can talk to anyone with a myspace account, MSN, ICQ etc etc etc. AIM has a web interface as well as google that requires no installation.

In general, many IM programs are compatable with each other.

loell
May 31st, 2009, 05:50 AM
mebeam (http://mebeam.com/)

Script Warlock
May 31st, 2009, 02:41 PM
meebo......;)

Icehuck
May 31st, 2009, 05:01 PM
I like using Webex for my web conferences. The clients connect easily and it doesn't require difficult setup for them. The host can easily share out his screen and can hook up webcams if needed. If you run a business it works out great but if you're some guy who just wants to broadcast then get an IM client and a webcam.

gigaferz
May 31st, 2009, 09:06 PM
mebeam

you dont need to have an account or anything , just a webcam a mic and it works in ubuntu and windows,

infoaliasgar
October 17th, 2012, 11:56 AM
You may have a look at GoMeetNow web conferencing services. It is compatible with windows and MAC computers, however, not with Linux. You cannot host a meeting or webinar on Linux using GoMeetNow, however, participants can join the meeting from their Linux desktops through web browser.

lisati
October 17th, 2012, 12:00 PM
From the forum code of conduct:

f a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.