PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Awesome WM and system tray

geo909
May 31st, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hello everybody,

I have been trying some window managers lately, I have decided to go minimal and use a tiling one, I really like the idea of optimum screen usage. I have been using dwm for a while, but I had one serious problem: I really need to use a system tray. There are some workarounds with stalonetray or trayer but this is really not what I want to..

Has anybody used awesome wm? According to this site (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Comparison_of_Tiling_Window_Managers), it has built in system tray support.

Before I start learning Lua (sigh) I wanted to make absolutely sure awesome does what I want with the system tray. So, any feedback would be really appreciated: can the bar at the top act like a "normal" system tray? Am I going to be able to use a network manager, or clipboard applet like in gnome/kde?

Thanks a lot in advance..

m_duck
May 31st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hey,

Awesome does have built in tray support. I can't remember if the 2.x.x versions do but I'm pretty sure all of the version 3 releases do. It acts just like a normal tray so adding nm-applet or whatever to your autostart should bring it up in the tray when you startx.

Good luck with the lua!

HTH

geo909
May 31st, 2009, 09:50 PM
Good to know! Thanks a lot for the info..