PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wanting to have Ubuntu/XP Dual boot one one disk, and data on the other.

Cam42
May 31st, 2009, 12:10 AM
I have two HDDs in my computer, and I want the primary (80GB) to be used for WinXP/Ubuntu +apps, with the secondary (90GB) to be used for Data.
How do I configure both operating systems to use the second drive as the default place to store data? (as in windows have the "My Documents" be on the second drive, and in Ubuntu the Documents, Music, Videos etc also)?

badaveil
May 31st, 2009, 01:06 AM
On the same configuration as yours but I didn't dual boot my pc, why don't you pull off the power from your secondary h/d like what I did to mine, install the O/S and when it works well, plug in the power back. It works for me. Just a humble suggestion.

Cam42
May 31st, 2009, 08:19 PM
bump.

Mark Phelps
June 1st, 2009, 02:17 PM
How do I configure both operating systems to use the second drive as the default place to store data? (as in windows have the "My Documents" be on the second drive, and in Ubuntu the Documents, Music, Videos etc also)?
You're not going to be able to do exactly what you want -- Linux is not Windows. While you can create a shared data drive (NTFS format would probably be the best), your "default" location for files related to your account in Ubuntu would be under the $Home directory, which (AFAIK) needs to be on Linux-compatible formatted filesystem.

So, you can have the other files (e.g., music, video, data) on the shared drive but I don't believe you can (or should) have $Home created there.