PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider yourself a Geek/Nerd?

CJ Master
May 30th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I'm just curious. :p I installed arch a couple of days ago (Well, technically I installed it about 4 times over because I kept messing up...) so I feel like super-geek right now. ;) Do you feel geeky or nerdy, or just normal?

Regenweald
May 30th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I'm just a guy that likes computers.

apmcd47
May 30th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Hmmm ... an email conversation I had yesterday went something like this:

Him (to large list): Guys, lets go see the new Terminator movie.

Me (private reply): Count me out, I've never seen any of the Terminator franchise.

Him: Not seen Terminator? And you call yourself a nerd!

I denied ever calling myself that.

So by definition I can't be a nerd: I've never seen Terminator!

Dharmachakra
May 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I'm not the stereotypical geek.

lisati
May 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Although I've been accused of being a geek I'm just a guy who knows that there's some merit in "RTFM". If "geekiness" could be rated on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being little or no geekiness, then I'd be somewhere round 1 or 2.

jpmelos
May 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I guess I'm a nerd and a geek, and I say it out loud. What should I be embarrassed for, just because I like programming, digital circuits, The Lord of the Rings and Linux (to mention a few)? Actually, I'm bit more inclined to geek than to nerd, but I guess I can fall in both categories.

Just so people know:
- Nerd: this guys likes classic RPG, The Lord of the Rings, comic books, comic book stores (!). And, often, physics and math. To name a few.
- Geek: the computer guy, he knows programming, how the computer works in the lower level (also known as digital circuits), uses Linux. Less often than nerds, but they tend to like physics and math as well. To name a few things too.

Surprisingly, some people don't know the difference yet.

s.fox
May 30th, 2009, 11:43 PM
No. I am what I am. I am a person.

FuturePilot
May 30th, 2009, 11:45 PM
- Geek: the computer guy, he knows programming, how the computer works in the lower level (also known as digital circuits), uses Linux. Less often than nerds, but they tend to like physics and math as well. To name a few things too.

That sounds exactly like me. Except for the math and physics part.

lisati
May 30th, 2009, 11:45 PM
No. I am what I am. I am a person.

Oh, that reminds me: I am a human "being", not a human "doing"..... :)

MikeTheC
May 30th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Self-perception is a very tricky thing.

Do I think of myself as a geek or nerd? Nope. I perceive myself as being a normal person. However, I'm an analytical, technologically savvy, self-sufficient person who (amongst other things) loves sci-fi, likes some old-school anime, likes to read and loves to write.

Others perceive me to be a geek or a nerd.

If being a geek or nerd means what I perceive myself to be, then I'm perfectly fine with that.

I may have my quirks or deficiencies, but I'm very comfortable in my own skin. Not to brag, but most people would be lucky to be able to make that claim.

dspari1
May 30th, 2009, 11:59 PM
There's nothing nerdy of not wanting viruses or not wanting to spend a lot of money on a Mac.

mocoloco
May 31st, 2009, 12:15 AM
My definitions are close to what jpmelos said, but I would clarify.

I see a "nerd" as someone who's intelligent and is in to math, science, and sci-fi/fantasy but is more socially inept (according to "mainstream" society), eg. has a hard time talking to the opposite sex.
A geek is someone heavily in to a "non-mainstream" activity or subject, like hacking, comic books, etc, but otherwise seems more well-rounded socially.

I used to be more of a nerd, but now I would consider myself more of a geek and less of a nerd. I think both terms are positive! I have lots of friends who are full-on "nerds" (others I know think they're hard to talk to).

There's no "right" way to be, or to socialize, and it's funny that there are still those who think there's something wrong with nerds/geeks, yet see nothing socially wrong with the behavior of say, avid screaming sports fans, or muscle car enthusiasts, political zealots, etc. Oh well, there will always be unjust prejudices in the world I guess.

CJ Master
May 31st, 2009, 02:32 AM
Odd, thought everone would call themselves a geek. It's fun! :P

Einsamkeit
May 31st, 2009, 03:12 AM
Hmm in some ways, I've been known as a nerd as I spend 90% of my "awake time" studying and as I miss having classes to attend to so much during holidays that I continue working on the course material even tho I already passed the class.

Else, I am fairly, but still not as much as some people here, knowledgable about computers and technology..

Some would consider me a nerd or geek, and others would see me as an passionate student of the universe. ;)

Wiebelhaus
May 31st, 2009, 03:17 AM
No , I've been called both and ten years ago I'd roll someone for trying to insult me , But now I'm older and somewhat calmer and let it slide. While their lady friend is winking at me - lol.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once,
but a prudent man overlooks an insult."

- King Solomon

factotum218
May 31st, 2009, 03:21 AM
In theory.

I'm a music geek stuck in a town with a bunch of 19 year olds who just want to play radio rock.

I'm a web developer faced with nothing but people who want to barter useless crap in exchange for services.

In a nutshell don't ever move to Grand Rapids Michigan.

Tipped OuT
May 31st, 2009, 03:34 AM
I'm a geek stuck in a cool guys body. :cool:

Drokles
May 31st, 2009, 03:36 AM
I'm a Scientist, but I've been called both a geek and a nerd. These days those two words are primarily used by people who have next to no insight into intellectual matters to shun us, because we are the kind of people who care about knowing, so I will submit to neither of these: You can call someone a geek and not have said anything about them entirely. It's just that ambiguous.

geekygirl
May 31st, 2009, 03:37 AM
Despite what my user name says I don't really consider myself a geek given some of the descriptions and stereotypes given in this thread!

If enjoying computers and all their associated activities like Linux et al and a few other interests like Japanese anime and aviation makes me a geek, well it must be others who think that, because I see myself as a stylish professional woman most times :p

Actually most people that meet me are surprised when I tell them I am studying I.T. at University, love tinkering on computers and enjoy watching anime - guess appearances can be deceiving :p

Then again, the people that do know me call me 'geekygirl' because they know I fix their computers and do other such things that they perceive to be 'geeky'...

Actually same as I wrote on another thread about a similar topic ;)

Confused yet?

lol

tuskenraider
May 31st, 2009, 05:37 AM
Despite what my user name says I don't really consider myself a geek given some of the descriptions and stereotypes given in this thread!

If enjoying computers and all their associated activities like Linux et al and a few other interests like Japanese anime and aviation makes me a geek, well it must be others who think that, because I see myself as a stylish professional woman most times :p

Actually most people that meet me are surprised when I tell them I am studying I.T. at University, love tinkering on computers and enjoy watching anime - guess appearances can be deceiving :p

Then again, the people that do know me call me 'geekygirl' because they know I fix their computers and do other such things that they perceive to be 'geeky'...

Actually same as I wrote on another thread about a similar topic ;)

Confused yet?

lol

i think im in love lol

geekygirl
May 31st, 2009, 08:09 AM
but, but you dont even know me! how do you know I am not a stalker or anything tuskenraider!

(well I am not really :p)

tuskenraider
May 31st, 2009, 08:11 AM
you know ... i checked nerd.... but i prefer the term dork. buts that just me.

tusken

MikeTheC
May 31st, 2009, 08:34 AM
Better look out now, tusken...

Heard any good Tusken Raider pick-up or dating lines lately? You know how geekygirls can be with a Tusken... :twisted: :shock: :guitar:

sica07
June 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
I'm just curious. :p I installed arch a couple of days ago (Well, technically I installed it about 4 times over because I kept messing up...) so I feel like super-geek right now. ;) Do you feel geeky or nerdy, or just normal?

I think I will consider myself a geek when I will be able to install, configure and use Slackware like I'm using Arch. I installed Arch many times, but I don't see why it would be consider as a difficult task (assuming that one follow the steps in the Install Guide)

billgoldberg
June 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM

Normal will do.

monsterstack
June 2nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
There are some very simple ways to determine whether or not someone is a geek. Observe:

chown -R us ~/base/

Do you,

a) Laugh;
b) Roll your eyes;
c) Sigh at the lameness of the joke;
d) Write about it in your blag;
e) think of a better one.

If yes to any of these, you are a geek. The correct non-geek response would be any of the following,

a) Wonder what that is;
b) Think, "I don't know any programming";
c) Reply with, "It gives me an error when I try and type it into the terminal :(".

perce
June 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
I don't get the joke, that's why I checked nerd and not geek.

cmay
June 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
nope. i been called many things and in my childhood i was always being beaten up at school for being a "geek" but when i grew up i became a strong young hardworking man and people stopped calling me geek and beating me up.

then at the age of 34 i started to play with computers and i never did that before. i read many books and mostly about unix.

so now people start calling me a geek again. i therefor dont want to be called a geek and i never have considered myself being a geek and never will because i dont like getting beat up on all the time :)

ps.
its actually a true story. believe it or not.