PDA

View Full Version : Centrino Duo

adam.tropics
January 15th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Does anyone happen to know if there is already or if there is planned for this year support for the intel centrino duo. Not necessarily on mac but also the non-apple variety!

mstlyevil
January 15th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Does anyone happen to know if there is already or if there is planned for this year support for the intel centrino duo. Not necessarily on mac but also the non-apple variety!

Both Dell and Gateway already offer them online but they will not actually ship until next month.

adam.tropics
January 15th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Right, but as an Ubuntu user, do you think it will be worth it (they aint cheap!!!), or should we give it a year or so for the benefits to filter through to Linux systems? I am assuming it should probably be worth it as if I am not mistaken Linux has always been pretty good with multi-processor environments, and that seems to be what duo equates to....

Also, is it just me, or does anyone think that this should be a significant step towards levelling the playing field for apple, linux and windows?? Or maybe that, plus a few more anti-trust lawsuits, one each for apple and microsoft!!, so maybe not significant, but a step nevertheless.

mstlyevil
January 15th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Right, but as an Ubuntu user, do you think it will be worth it (they aint cheap!!!), or should we give it a year or so for the benefits to filter through to Linux systems? I am assuming it should probably be worth it as if I am not mistaken Linux has always been pretty good with multi-processor environments, and that seems to be what duo equates to....

Also, is it just me, or does anyone think that this should be a significant step towards levelling the playing field for apple, linux and windows?? Or maybe that, plus a few more anti-trust lawsuits, one each for apple and microsoft!!, so maybe not significant, but a step nevertheless.

As long as you update the kernel to 686-smp the duo is fully functional and supported under Linux. It would probally be more expensive to buy one without Windows since all the crapware loaded on the computer from the manufactuer helps subsidise the cost of the laptop. You just either erase Windows entirely or dual boot linux. I also do not think it is a step to leveling the playing field because for that to happen the major computer manufactuers would have to pre-install and configure linux just as OSX and Windows are already done.

adam.tropics
January 15th, 2006, 07:18 AM
As I said, maybe a few more crippling lawsuits down the line!

As for the buying, well, to be honest I have given up trying to get computers, particularly laptops without windows. I just delete it these days. The only ones I have seen for sale in the past without windows, just don't offer any spec benefit and are not much cheaper, so i tend to go for the brand names, and just keep the restore disc in case i need the service people. Seems a safer option, just for the hardware service sake.

drizek
January 15th, 2006, 07:30 AM
you got that wrong. asus makes some kickass machines, and htey dont come with windows. they cost about the same as other companies, but they are speced better and have better build quality.

and if you want something with very high performance then get a sager, which also doesnt come with windows.

Of course, if you manage to get a great deal on a dell and you dont mind the crappy support and not-so-spectacular build quality, then by all means...