PDA

View Full Version : [cool stuff] Does someone knows a similar tool for Linux?

lovinglinux
May 30th, 2009, 07:57 AM
WindowTabs Groups Program Windows into Chrome-Like Tabs (http://lifehacker.com/5272613/windowtabs-groups-program-windows-into-chrome+like-tabs?skyline=true&s=i)

I was thinking about something like this for a long time. It's pretty cool way to organize several windows.

Does someone knows a similar tool for gnome?

Rhubarb
May 30th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Use Compiz, it'll do this for you quite easily.

First you may need to install the compiz config settings manager:

sudo aptitude install compizconfig-settings-manager

Then use the plugin for compiz that can do all of that:-
System --> Preferences --> CompizConfig Settings Manager
Then under "Window Management" play around with the "Group and Tab Windows" part.

If in doubt, do a search in youtube for "Compiz group and tab" for good examples.

lovinglinux
May 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Use Compiz, it'll do this for you quite easily.

First you may need to install the compiz config settings manager:

sudo aptitude install compizconfig-settings-manager

Then use the plugin for compiz that can do all of that:-
System --> Preferences --> CompizConfig Settings Manager
Then under "Window Management" play around with the "Group and Tab Windows" part.

If in doubt, do a search in youtube for "Compiz group and tab" for good examples.

Thanks. I saw that plugin a long time ago but never used. Works pretty nice. Do you know if it is possible to automatically group and tab all windows when they are opened?

Rhubarb
May 30th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Do you know if it is possible to automatically group and tab all windows when they are opened?

I really wouldn't know, as to be honest I've never used compiz's group and tab feature before, I just know about it.

There's a chance a bit of a searchy on the net could bring up some results of how to do this.

Having said that, if you're handy at some programming, I sure you could hack it together quite easily. - It's open source after all.

-Rhubarb