PDA

View Full Version : Staples PC Tech Job

Warpnow
May 30th, 2009, 07:37 AM
So, I'm a student. I know alot about computers. I could assemble and disassemble most PCs blindfolded.

But no experience. At all. I worked my *** off in high school on actual school. I transferred into college as a junior with every concievable extra cirricular and some you couldn't concieve.

But I applied for a job at a PC tech. Any idea if this company would consider me even though I have no work experience? Anyone work/worked at this company and have any advice?

I applied online, and was planning on making a call on monday.

Their site lists experience as preferred but not required. Otherwise I wouldn't have even applied.

Sef
May 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM
So, I'm a student. I know alot about computers. I could assemble and disassemble most PCs blindfolded.

But no experience. At all. I worked my *** off in high school on actual school. I transferred into college as a junior with every concievable extra cirricular and some you couldn't concieve.

You do have experience with computers, and that is what you need to emphasize.

But I applied for a job at a PC tech. Any idea if this company would consider me even though I have no work experience? Anyone work/worked at this company and have any advice?

Their site lists experience as preferred but not required. Otherwise I wouldn't have even applied.

When you call, I would emphasize that you have taught yourself about computers and taken x classes, if you have.

Kareeser
May 30th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Won't hurt to apply... do you have any certifications?

pwnst*r
May 30th, 2009, 03:25 PM

just show them you're enthusiastic about technology in general and just go in with a can-do attitude. you can totally win people over with your confidence and attitude, you just need to know how (and when) to apply it :)

good luck!

Paqman
May 30th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Any idea if this company would consider me even though I have no work experience?

If they put "experience not required" in the JD, then that's what they meant.

For positions like that an employer will be much more interested in someone who is keen to learn and has a good attitude than masses of technical skills. Even for jobs later in life, a candidate that creates the right impression in an interview will get the job over one who's got a smokin' CV.

Presumably the job is customer facing? Your employer is going to want to think you'll be good with customers as much as they want technical skills.

pwnst*r
May 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
yep, anybody can be taught technical skills, that's the easy part. attitude and work moral is the hard part if you've been brought up a lazy slob and everything was handed to you.

Warpnow
May 31st, 2009, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm going to follow my application up on monday and see if I can get an interview.

pwnst*r
May 31st, 2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm going to follow my application up on monday and see if I can get an interview.

follow up by going to the store asking for the manager, do NOT call.