PDA

View Full Version : Opinions are like...

HappinessNow
May 30th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Opinions are like...

(finish the phrase)

I'll start:

Opinions are like jelly doughnuts, you never know what kind of jelly you'll find inside but you can be sure it is not good for you!

lisati
May 30th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I heard this one recently on the Dr Phil show:

Opinions are like butts. Everybody has one.

HappinessNow
May 30th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I heard this one recently on the Dr Phil show:...and they all stink!

lisati
May 30th, 2009, 07:27 AM
...and they all stink!

LOL: it's sometimes hard to relate to the topics on such TV shows, one wonders about people who air their dirty laundry on TV shows that have an international audience.

monsterstack
May 30th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Opinions are like thoughts, which involve neurons, each of which consists of a cell body called the soma and a long thin axon which is covered by a myelin sheath, and around the cell body is a branching dendritic tree that receives signals from other neurons. The end of the axon has branching terminals (axon terminal) that release transmitter substances into a gap called the synaptic cleft between the terminals and the dendrites of the next neuron. The neurons process and transmit information by electrochemical signals by depolarizing sufficiently, and, as the membrane potential is increased, both the sodium and potassium ion channels begin to open which increases both the inward sodium current (depolarization) and the balancing outward potassium current (repolarization/hyperpolarization), which leads to positive feedback from the sodium current activating even more sodium channels. Thus, the cell "fires", producing an action potential. Once initiated, the action potential travels through the axon. Since the axon is insulated, the action potential can travel through it without significant signal decay. Nevertheless, to ensure the signal does not fail, regularly spaced patches, called the nodes of Ranvier, help boost the signal. The process resembles that at the axon hillock. The action potential depolarizes the membrane patch at the node of Ranvier, sparking another action potential. In effect, the action potential is created afresh at each node of Ranvier. The axon then branches along its length, and the action potentials travel down each branch. At this point, the axon sheds its insulation, and instead, the action potential is propagated by the voltage activated sodium channels.

Wikipedia, eh. The more you know.

HappinessNow
May 30th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Opinions are like thoughts, which involve neurons, each of which consists of a cell body called the soma and a long thin axon which is covered by a myelin sheath, and around the cell body is a branching dendritic tree that receives signals from other neurons. The end of the axon has branching terminals (axon terminal) that release transmitter substances into a gap called the synaptic cleft between the terminals and the dendrites of the next neuron. The neurons process and transmit information by electrochemical signals by depolarizing sufficiently, and, as the membrane potential is increased, both the sodium and potassium ion channels begin to open which increases both the inward sodium current (depolarization) and the balancing outward potassium current (repolarization/hyperpolarization), which leads to positive feedback from the sodium current activating even more sodium channels. Thus, the cell "fires", producing an action potential. Once initiated, the action potential travels through the axon. Since the axon is insulated, the action potential can travel through it without significant signal decay. Nevertheless, to ensure the signal does not fail, regularly spaced patches, called the nodes of Ranvier, help boost the signal. The process resembles that at the axon hillock. The action potential depolarizes the membrane patch at the node of Ranvier, sparking another action potential. In effect, the action potential is created afresh at each node of Ranvier. The axon then branches along its length, and the action potentials travel down each branch. At this point, the axon sheds its insulation, and instead, the action potential is propagated by the voltage activated sodium channels.

Wikipedia, eh. The more you know....but can you empirically validate that?

Wikipedia, eh. Not accepted as a scientific basis of understanding or a peer reviewed journal for even a basic citation in a 100 level college course, but Wikipedia is a nice novelty item for the chronically bored.

etnlIcarus
May 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM
In keeping with the general theme of the cafe:

Opinions are like Microsoft operating systems: they're in abundance and characteristically mired by their own mediocrity. Equally, the odd well-conceived opinion receives about as much attention and appreciation in public discourse, as Linux does in the desktop space.

Thread officially derailed. 8)

...but can you empirically validate that?

Wikipedia, eh. Not accepted as a scientific basis of understanding or a peer reviewed journal for even a basic citation in a 100 level college courseI agree that no one should be using wikipedia as a citation (good starting point for further reading, however) but I imagine academic objections to wikipedia lie more with wikipedia's leaning towards the abstract and it's lack of explicit detail, rather than with issues of credibility or accuracy. I can't imagine many people would choose to use wiki as a citation, for the very reason that on a specific subject, it just lacks the kind of detail necessary to be helpful in developing a hypothesis, let alone convincing anyone else of it.

That said, I'd be curious to see monsterstack use wikipedia's sources to answer your challenge. I'm sure amongst the maxnews.com links, there are some well regarded scientific resources used as the basis for wiki's entries on the neural synapses. Wouldn't blame him if he CBFed, however; I sure wouldn't be.

Delever
May 30th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Opinions are like viruses, infecting your mind and wasting your time, spreading by making you to care about them and share them.

yabbadabbadont
May 30th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Opinions are like fleas. Every old dog has them.

MikeTheC
May 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Opinions are nice
everyone has at least one
and they are all wind

To know what one thinks
brings clarity of intent
to the other side

A three-edged sword is
what truth can often be
mine, yours and the truth

mamamia88
May 30th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Opinions are like sex if somebody doesn't want it don't give it to them or there will be trouble

gymophett
May 30th, 2009, 10:05 PM
opinions are like viruses, infecting your mind and wasting your time, spreading by making you to care about them and share them.

=d>

MikeTheC
May 30th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Opinions are like sex if somebody doesn't want it don't give it to them or there will be trouble
But everyone should be entitled to my opinion.

lisati
May 30th, 2009, 10:25 PM
But everyone should be entitled to my opinion.

And you are entitled to mine..... :)