PDA

View Full Version : Funniest computer related thing you've done to yourself?

Vunutus
May 30th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I had an incident just a moment ago that sparked me to create this topic.

I was writing a perl script to act like a macro that would retrieve now playing information from banshee and enter it character by character as keyboard events using the program "xte". This way, I could have it work within games without any special interaction, it would be just like I typed it.

Well, I coded the thing almost perfectly. The keypress for the game in question to bring up the chat was "shift+enter". Now in order to do this I needed to have it hold down shift, press enter, then release shift. Unfortunately in my haste I forgot "release shift". I ran the script and this led to the somewhat hilarious side effect of my shift key being locked down. I thought "no problem, I'll just go to the terminal and manually type in the line to release shift". Unfortunately, as everyone knows, Linux is case sensitive. It would not accept the command in all caps as I had to enter it.

This led to a five minute scavenger hunt of me visiting websites and using the mouse to copy+paste individual lowercase letters into the terminal to form the command I needed to turn it off.

juancarlospaco
May 30th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I sucessfully installed Linux on a Cisco 2500 Router.

Tipped OuT
May 30th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I trusted some random guy that added me from MSN and I asked him how to change my IP Address (this was when I was starting to learn about computers) and he told me to input a command in command prompt that ended up deleting ALL of my files on my hard drive (except for the files to run Windows). :(