PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub 1.5 error

vijmen
May 29th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Hi all

I am new to running ubuntu on my home pc. However, my experience, as described below, has been a bit frustrating, to say the least.

A few months ago, I assembled a pc and installed 8.04.

However, after a few days, this froze. Then, I started getting a grub load error and soon after that, the system would no longer recognize my hard disk, so I reinstalled ubuntu.

And this cycle continued about 7-8 times...

Me being a bit slow, it took me some time to work out I should check the hardware as some friends suggested the RAM or HDD might be faulty.

So, I downloaded 9.04 and from its iso, ran the utility to check the RAM; all OK. I went and bought a new HDD and installed it as a primary.

I installed 9.04 and it ran beautifully for about 3 weeks, much faster too with ext4.

However, this morning, I switched on the comp and got the Grub 1.5 read error. And the system won't boot up any further.

I was wondering what all could I be doing wrong as nothing I've tried has helped in any way.

In the last 6 months, the pc has never worked for more than 2 weeks at a time without ubuntu freezing.

Could someone please help me in understanding this issue?

Am a newbie to running and maintaining my own ubuntu pc, as you can see.

Thanks in advance for any help and your patience in reading this post.

Regards
vijmen

harrisoftware
May 30th, 2009, 04:21 AM
i'm no expert on ubuntu (yet!) but this really sounds like a hardware issue. I was pulling my hair out recently with my vista gamer box which is loaded with goodies - it kept freezing in the middle of of gameplay - sometimes 10 minutes in, sometime 3hrs, sometimes never. memory tested a-ok. replaced the heat sink, bought fan controllers and fans, monitored core temperature. nothing helped. finally in desperation, i bought a 700W power supply from PC Power and Cooling and voila! no more issues- period.

my advice - get a good power supply.

if your box is 'freezing' on a disk write, who knows what its doing to your drives.