PDA

View Full Version : windows 98 dual boot

wolfyking2
May 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Ok, i'm thinking of dual booting windows, I have a windows 98 disc. So I'm just asking, would it work on a computer with about 5 GB hdd space, and 1 GB RAM?

wsonar
May 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
WIn 98 about 255 MB

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182751

Ubuntu asks for 4 gig

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Would work with XUBUNTU

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/xubuntu
XUBUNTU
Desktop install requires at least 1.5GB

LowSky
May 29th, 2009, 09:35 PM
would it, yes, but 98 is so outdated, there is virtually nothing you would need it for, that WINE couldn't do.

ghindo
May 29th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Running an operating system as outdated as Windows 98 is a very big security risk. I wouldn't recommend it.

wolfyking2
May 29th, 2009, 09:49 PM
why is it a security risk? Just curious. I'm only dual booting for games, and my intel card will be better supported so you know...:D

NCLI
May 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM
why is it a security risk? Just curious. I'm only dual booting for games, and my intel card will be better supported so you know...:D

As long as you don't connect Win 98 to the internet, it won't be ;)

...Seriously, don't use it to connect to the internet, you'll probably be part of a botnet before you know it.

ghindo
May 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM
why is it a security risk? Just curious. I'm only dual booting for games, and my intel card will be better supported so you know...:DEach new iteration of Windows, each new Windows service pack patches security vulnerabilities. This means if you install Windows 98, there will be 10+ years of security patches that you will be missing out on.

kelean
May 29th, 2009, 09:58 PM
windows 98 is no longer supported. I dont think you can get any security fixes any longer.

LowSky
May 29th, 2009, 10:01 PM
windows 98 is no longer supported. I dont think you can get any security fixes any longer.

true!

what games are you trying to run?

like I sadi WINE should and most likely will run any game that was built for Win98

wolfyking2
May 29th, 2009, 10:10 PM
mabinogi, gunz, grand chase, gunbound... all the games that don't work on wine >.< and with better graphic card support, I'll be able to play savage and whatnot. Oh, and too the security thing, i'm not gonna worry about that. trust me, i know things.

CharmyBee
May 29th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Running an operating system as outdated as Windows 98 is a very big security risk. I wouldn't recommend it.

None of my Win9X machines have been 'infected' and they've been online for years. Fear stinks. Caution rocks.

lisati
May 29th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Other than the lack of support by MS and possibly a challenge finding suitable AV software (the latest free AVG won't work; caution and good sense are always a good idea) I don't see why Win98 won't run on the OP's machine. I have an older machine which came with Win98 that has only 64Mb RAM and a 3Gb space on the hard disk - Win98 works well enough on that machine for occasional use.

BoyOfDestiny
May 29th, 2009, 10:58 PM
CharmyBee: Serious question, how can you verify your 9x installs aren't part of a botnet? Scanning from the OS itself would be faulty if there was a rootkit of some form.

How do you secure these machines?

An outside firewall or router? Not being on the net 24/7 (i.e. dialup?)
Updated security patches don't exist...

A Windows machine would be a ripe target.
Just being on the net with raw sockets and all the other holes Windows has (and had!), would be enough to get it infected. No need to download a thing...

When I played with 98 in a vm, I just made sure the ethernet card wasn't emulated. It is a failsafe solution. Works with most version of Windows, except the new ones which like to authenticate themselves...
It is worth mentioning it is safer in a virtual machine in Ubuntu, as it is protected since Ubuntu doesn't have any ports open by default that it shouldn't...

toolfan2k4
May 29th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Oh, and too the security thing, i'm not gonna worry about that. trust me, i know things.

Famous last words, as for infections and what not with an OS that old you could easily be infected and not even know it.

wolfyking2
May 29th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Famous last words, as for infections and what not with an OS that old you could easily be infected and not even know it.Dude, i'm so good with viruses i could almost fix em myself :)

don_quixote
May 29th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I'd be more concerned about Win 98 stability; unlike the 2000 onwards, the 98 is an extremely frequent BSODer.

swoll1980
May 29th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Good luck finding drivers for it.

CharmyBee
May 30th, 2009, 12:06 AM
CharmyBee: Serious question, how can you verify your 9x installs aren't part of a botnet? Scanning from the OS itself would be faulty if there was a rootkit of some form.

How do you secure these machines?

Outpost Firewall + ClamAV works wonders for me. I also don't use Internet Explorer (and use 98lite when I feel bothered for that)
The router doesn't suck, either. Who uses the internet without a router anyway? Of course, when you're spoiled on Windows 2000/XP or Ubuntu, it's very easy to say that Win9X is the most volatile thing in existence.

albinootje
May 30th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I'll be able to play savage and whatnot. Oh, and too the security thing, i'm not gonna worry about that. trust me, i know things.

I hope I can trust you to pull out the network cable each time you start that W98. :]

CharmyBee
May 30th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I should add that Win98 gets very upset with 1GB of ram, so you'll have to take out one stick and leave just 512mb in there.

I hope I can trust you to pull out the network cable each time you start that W98. :]

Savage is an online only game.

CJ Master
May 30th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Virtualbox, anybody?

wolfyking2
May 30th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Virtualbox, anybody?I think I might try that first instead, so I could maybe use less RAM

Keithhed
May 30th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Go ahead, I could use another box on my net! lol.

CharmyBee
May 30th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I think I might try that first instead, so I could maybe use less RAM

No Virtualbox video driver for Win9X though. No acceleration, and not even 256 colors.

drawkcab
May 30th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Win 98 is the worst, it is a malware sponge.