PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Dissapears!!!

franar
May 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I just bought a hp pavillion dv7, with windows vista, i created a partition in order to install ubuntu 9.04, and everything worked fine!

but as it's usual windows failed and i had to make a recovery to get things in vista right.....the problem is when i start the computer i have not the menu to choose the starting S.O., how can i see again this menu?

thanks in advance.

lake54
May 29th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Try following this step in the APC Mag guide:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm?page=4

It's after the second image (to do with EasyBCD)

If you need more instructions write back :p

James

franar
May 29th, 2009, 09:01 PM
i guess i didn't explain my problem very well, I can reach Ubuntu, because computer start direct to Vista, i have no option to choose.

yesterday i have both system working good, but last night i make a recovery of vista, this make dissapears the boot menu.

lake54
May 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
So which operating system can you boot into? Vista or Ubuntu? I gathered from the first post that you were booting into Vista

Sorry if I misunderstood.

James

dje
May 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
don't worry, it's an easy fix :) see here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows) (so long as you didn't reinstall Vista over Ubuntu...)

dje

lake54
May 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Ah, there we go :-)

You can tell I'm new to Ubuntu, despite being on the mailing list for a year or two lol

Hope you get it fixed!

James

franar
May 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM
jaja james, don't worry, my mother tongue is not english, so it's a little hard explain myself so good as i wish!

franar
May 29th, 2009, 09:13 PM
thanks dje, here i can't try, because i'm working (with microsoft) and the problem it's with my personal laptop, but reading your reference, it's exactly what i'm looking for,

thanks you all

dje
May 29th, 2009, 09:18 PM
thanks dje, here i can't try, because i'm working (with microsoft) and the problem it's with my personal laptop, but reading your reference, it's exactly what i'm looking for,

thanks you all

no worries, you should get it fixed easily and quickly with those instructions, good luck ;)