PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ubuntu and wiping but saving XP

tobiasolesen
May 29th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Hi...

I wish to do a clean install of Ubuntu (netbook remix) on my Eee 1000H (no dual boot) but still have the possibility to restore Windows Xp if I want to.

How do I do that in the best way? I am thinking that I can get an .iso somewhere because I have the license so I can reinstall from that if I want. Or I can put the (what I think is a ghost image) windows from my computer to and save it.

Has anyone tried to do this? How?

I want to install Ubuntu and wipe of XP but be able to install?

thanks

tobias

wpshooter
May 29th, 2009, 08:19 PM
My understanding is that ideally the order of installation should be M/S O/S first, then installation of Ubuntu O/S.

So, if it were me and I wanted M/S O/S on the computer (which is HIGHLY unlikely, in my case), then I would leave the M/S O/S that is currently on the computer as is and just install Ubuntu, after first doing 1 or perhaps 2 scandisk and defrags under the M/S O/S.

tobiasolesen
May 29th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Maybe I am being unclear... I want only Ubuntu on my Eee pc. Since it is an Eee pc I do not have a cd drive and need a way to save my my ghost image in some way... If that is possible in any way...

thanks
tobias

lake54
May 29th, 2009, 08:46 PM
In this case I'd suggest copying the ghost image (if you have one) to an external hard drive of some sort (or depending how large the file is you could get away with it on either a DVD or pen drive).

Also, you're correct about the ISO image/key combo - that's fine as far as I know.

James

rpaar63
May 30th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Check out this thread (http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windows:restorexp_from_usb)

It will show you how to make a usb stick that will be a bootable copy of the "restore" disk. The other usefull feature will be that you can also use it to make a Ghost image of the Hard drive, i use it to make a full backup of the entire drive of my EeePc after i had it setup for dualboot, XP and ubuntu nbr.