PDA

View Full Version : your opinion on this

mamamia88
May 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM
http://www.osnews.com/story/21573/Linux_Unified_Kernel_Aims_to_Combine_Linux_NT_Kern el

rliegh
May 29th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hope it runs better than CoLinux...

pookiebear
May 29th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Hope they don't get sued by Microsoft. Probably wouldn't matter though since the project was funded by the chinese Gov't if I was guessing. They would give MS the ole middle finger salutation.

Tibuda
May 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Bad.

if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/openweekJaunty/AskMark)

Namtabmai
May 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM
What difference will this make without something like Wine on top of it all to support the various API calls?

baseface
May 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM
What difference will this make without something like Wine on top of it all to support the various API calls?

compiled binaries will probably be branded as either win32 or elf so the kernel will know what to do with the calls.

FuturePilot
May 29th, 2009, 07:33 PM
From the project's website it sounds like all they've done is somehow move wine into the kernel? :???:

baseface
May 29th, 2009, 07:34 PM
From the project's website it sounds like all they've done is somehow move wine into the kernel? :???:

i guess stability isnt a concern?

anarchyinc
May 29th, 2009, 07:43 PM
They do this by implementing Windows NT kernel mechanisms into the Linux kernel using kernel modules, such as NT's process management, thread management, object management, virtual memory management, synchronisation, system calls, Windows registry (worms? Can? Of?), WDM (device driver framework), Windows DPC mechanism, and so on.

I stopped reading after that paragraph and realized they are idiots. Plus, I'm sure that this in some way violates Microsoft's end user policy. They might be able to get away with it if it is purely for educational purposes and not to be distrobuted.

b@sh_n3rd
May 29th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I'm not really sure about this but it sounds cool enough from one point. Anyway, what could happen if we give the alpha a spin on Ubuntu?? :D

frrobert
May 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I do not see any point to this.

First , it just gives MS lawyers a way to say that Linux users are guilty of patent infringement. Not that I believe their previous claims but this very well COULD be a valid example or an example of violating licensing agreements.

Second, would it not just be a way to allow Windows malware to infect a Linux box?