PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu password on windows rootfiles

Dawoodoz
May 29th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a new ext3 partition with 6GB virtual memory on the same harddrive as Windows 2000. :D

The problem is that I now can't start Windows 2000 without a bluescreen after the loadingscreen. :(
It seems to be because windows can't use it's harddrive according to the bluescreen message.
It seems to be because Ubuntu has my login's password on the windows partition.
Ubuntu seems to think that the Windows partition is a personal media album :o to protect from Windows users.

What should I do now? :(

David

mikewhatever
May 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM
The thing is, when you start Windows, Ubuntu isn't loaded so that it can't possibly do things like thinking or having passwords. Since neither the question nor the explanation make much sense, why don't you just tell us what the error message is.

iponeverything
May 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Can you see the files on your windows partition when you are in linux? If you can, I would backup your files.

Dawoodoz
May 29th, 2009, 08:40 PM
"Can you see the files on your windows partition when you are in linux? If you can, I would backup your files. "

I make backups to HDD, SSD and memory stick every evening. ;)

"The thing is, when you start Windows, Ubuntu isn't loaded so that it can't possibly do things like thinking or having passwords."

Windows XP has that to protect against access thru DOS but ubuntu goes around it. :)

"why don't you just tell us what the error message is"

Here is the relevant part of the message and the rest is in swedish.
"
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF681B848,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
"

Can it be ubuntu's automatic reference to the partition that's wrong? ](*,)

Does ubuntu have something like boot.ini for the menu? :p

coffeecat
May 29th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Can it be ubuntu's automatic reference to the partition that's wrong? ](*,)

Does ubuntu have something like boot.ini for the menu? :p

This is nothing to do with Ubuntu; this is a startup problem with Windows 2000. However, googling "inaccessible_boot_device windows 2000" comes up with a very large number of hits. Much as it pains me to post links to the microsoft website on this forum, these two seem to be the most useful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822052

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315396&sd=tech

Dawoodoz
May 29th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks, but I still don't know where the reference is stored since I choose to start Windows 2000 from ubuntu's multiboot menu and I never see the menu in boot.ini who I recently wrote.

mikewhatever
May 29th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I have to second coffecat, it has nothing to do with Ubuntu. The menu you see is GRUB (the boot loader), but blue screens and those kind of messages is Windows, which means the process has been passed on to the Windows boot loader.

Dawoodoz
May 30th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I have now erased the ubuntu partition and Windows 2000 is working again.
Ubuntu seems to work better with windows when booting from the CD. :p