PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Mouse pad clicking?

kd0afk
May 29th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I can't seem to find where to disable mouse clicking by tapping on the mouse pad. I know where to find it in ubuntu and in kubuntu there is a thing in system settings that controls the mouse and keyboard but in the mouse section there is nothing about changing the clicking style. Please, someone clear this up for me, maybe I am just missing it.

thanks.

Hospadar
May 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM
You could try using gsynaptics to configure your touchpad. I've never used it before but it is apparently a tool to configure synaptics touchpad (which is what most laptops have) options.

LowSky
May 29th, 2009, 02:58 PM
To clear things up -- The mouse pad you keep refering to is called a trackpad or touchpad.. A mouse pad is the term for a pieces of cloth or plastic you keep under a conventional mouse.

kd0afk
May 29th, 2009, 05:30 PM
You could try using gsynaptics to configure your touchpad. I've never used it before but it is apparently a tool to configure synaptics touchpad (which is what most laptops have) options.

Any idea how to make and make install it? I was able to compile it but when I entered 'make' and then 'make install' I got errors.

taavikko
May 29th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Any idea how to make and make install it? I was able to compile it but when I entered 'make' and then 'make install' I got errors.

why build from source, when it's available from the repositories?

sudo apt-get install gsynaptics
Note: it's bit obsolete from 9.04 on, use gpointing-device-settings

sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings

JK3mp
May 29th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Definately install from repo's. Less dependencie issue's... ;)

Gen2ly
May 29th, 2009, 06:12 PM
'man synaptics'

synaptics is the driver for the touchpad. You can enter settings for your touchpad in your xorg.conf. Look for Touchpadoff (i think) in the man-page. gsynaptics does the same thing by invoking the driver. gsynaptics is a gnome app but no big deal really and would be easier to use if you're new.

kd0afk
May 29th, 2009, 07:22 PM
why build from source, when it's available from the repositories?

sudo apt-get install gsynapticsNote: it's bit obsolete from 9.04 on, use gpointing-device-settings

sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings

This brings me to a question; I like the installing from the repositories but how does one know what to inter into the command line to get a program from the repositories? Is there a list somewhere?

OffAxis
May 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM
previously you would edit the xorg.conf file and add a line to the synaptics section that read

Option "MaxTapTime" "0" # 0 disables tap-to-click, set it to 100 to re-enable

From 8.04 on up hal controls the input devices, so you've got to add an .fdi file to here /etc/hal/fdi/policy to control your touchpad, or use the xinput commands.

Here is a much better write-up than I could muster:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input

OffAxis
May 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM
This brings me to a question; I like the installing from the repositories but how does one know what to inter into the command line to get a program from the repositories? Is there a list somewhere?
if you're on the command line you can use aptitude.

aptitude search <package name>

the command supports wildcards, so if you have an idea of the package name you can usually find it.

kd0afk
May 29th, 2009, 08:55 PM
if you're on the command line you can use aptitude.

aptitude search <package name>the command supports wildcards, so if you have an idea of the package name you can usually find it.
thanks, I am learning allot.

kd0afk
May 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I installed gsynaptics because when I did an aptitude search on gpointing I got nothing. I went to System>Preferences>Touchpad I got this error: GSynaptics couldn't initialize.
You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics
So I went into terminal to edit xorg.conf and there was nothing about SHMConfig. in that file and I can't even find XF86Config.