PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] installing ubuntu studio on a firewire drive, on an intel mac

bjaz
May 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
hello all
i'm a total newbie, and have been searching for sometimes for precise instructions on how to install ubuntu-studio in my situation, but am still confused.
for fear of doing something horribly wrong, i wanted to ask for help.

here's the situation : i'm on an intel mac book pro,on OX 10.4, with an external 1To firewire 800 drive on which i have another bootable copy of OS 10.4 specifically for production work.

I would like to install ubuntu studio on this drive, since my internal drive is full.

I have created a 21.5 G partition (as well as a 40G one for a potential windows XP in the future, since i have a bootcamp partition on the internal mac drive that i would like to move to the external one day, if it's possible) in the mac's disk utility, and would like to install ubuntu there. The partition is in FAT32 ( i kind of understood this was a better choice that NTFS for an ubuntu install, though i'm not sure)

when I boot onto the ubuntu studio CD, all seems well.
Until I reach the partitioning tool, where i feel quite lost.

my internal drive is recognized, and so's the external firewire drive with its three partitions ( one big NTFS one which has Mac OS X on it, 2 empty FAT32 ones of respectively of 21.5 and 34.4 gigs)
they're called #2 primary 21.5 FAT32
and #3 primary 34.4 FAT32

but i'm really confused on the next step.

ie how do i install ubuntu studio on one of the two empty FAT32 partitions, without risking to erase anything on the external drive's big NTFS extended bootable mac OS partition, (or of course on my internal drive that i don't want touched in any way)

i've had bad experiences in the past with partitioning tools, and want to make sure i get this right, install in the right place and don't delete everything on the drive if this is possible.

what are the steps to install a bootable ubuntu studio on one of the two FAT32 partitions available ( i think the 21.5 gig one should be enough), and make sure the mac os partition is protected / untouched.

should i choose manual, guided ? i'm really lost here, and all i've been reading seems to focus on a full erasure of the drive first.

if someone could guide me to through the specific options i should choose in the case it would be great

thanks in advance for your help

ben

bjaz
May 30th, 2009, 12:48 PM
i'm starting to think this is not actually possible, or not done this way.
Pointers, anyone ?

bjaz
May 31st, 2009, 03:50 PM
could anyone help me out ? I would like to try the install but i'm really quite afraid of messing up the partition set up in this particular case.

thanks greatly

bjaz
June 1st, 2009, 10:36 PM
i'm wondering if it's as complex as explained here

http://macubuntu.blogspot.com/2005/11/nailed-howto-install-bootable-mac.html

b