PDA

View Full Version : The perfect Linux distro / let's build it.

Mazza558
May 29th, 2009, 10:38 AM
http://lunduke.com/?p=616

This makes for some pretty interesting reading, and I agree with pretty much all of it. What's more, I had been considering making a script which would boost Ubuntu with some of the best software around automatically - so that someone could just run it, come back and an hour later they have this transformed desktop with all the cool stuff that people didn't even know existed.

As the blogger wrote, all this is possible now and the software is all in place, it just requires someone to put it all together. Now, I'm not saying "create a new distro", but just simply a script which grabs all this from the Ubuntu repositories, removes any duplicate apps and sets everything up. What say you?

Some ideas:
- Install restricted plugins/codecs, Flash and Adobe Air
- Gnome-do
- Not too keen on f-spot ... wouldn't Picasa be a better choice?
- Banshee and Miro, definitely. Plus, any videos played get added to the library.
- It'd be awesome if we could add Spotify, but of course that's only for a couple of countries.

Now, there's a lot of stuff there which isn't Open-source. But for now, I think it's best just to go for the best tools for the job. After all, all these apps are free, and aren't particularly plagued with compatibility problems either. The best open-source software is created when the closed-source alternative isn't good enough (IE vs Firefox) or even available (Photoshop).

cb951303
May 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM
What will it do different other than default software choice. If none, I wouldn't call it a distro. It's just a ubuntu remix.

Delever
May 29th, 2009, 10:45 AM
One's cool is others bloat.

And you may be likely to run into lots of problems and lots of unforeseen situations. For example, user may already have some unknown customizations.

Distribution remix would be more reliable and more successful in this case, and it would even match your thread title :)

k2t0f12d
May 29th, 2009, 10:45 AM
*looks..blinks....then goes back to sleep*
ZZZzzzzz..........

kpkeerthi
May 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM

PiTiVi. I thought this project is dead until I saw the link.

Mazza558
May 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM

And you may be likely to run into lots of problems and lots of unforeseen situations. For example, user may already have some unknown customizations.

Distribution remix would be more reliable and more successful in this case, and it would even match your thread title :)

Make a custom gconf, back the user one up, and copy the custom one in.

Or, simply demand that people only run the script if they've just done a clean install. That way there's a base to work from.

Mazza558
May 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM
It's obviously a better idea for new users (and people who actually want to use their PC) rather than more experienced users who want to tweak.

evermooingcow
May 29th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Exactly what came to my mind skimming the linked site.

JohnFH
May 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear ...

This is not a distro, just someone who wants to put their own choice of applications together and wants some praise for it.

I cringe reading through that as it is so poorly written - very poor reasoning, too much use of slang, very short sentences and he seems very arrogant, continually saying "Get over it". Just very poor and not at all inspiring.

gn2
May 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Perfect distro?

No such thing.

Every user has their own preferences.

EDIT: that link is hilarious, Click N Run? Nearly fell off my chair.

koenn
May 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM
As the blogger wrote, all this is possible now and the software is all in place, it just requires someone to put it all together. Now, I'm not saying "create a new distro", but just simply a script which grabs all this from the Ubuntu repositories, removes any duplicate apps and sets everything up. What say you?
It's been done, it was called Automatix, and it died a slow and painfull death, as did many of the systems it was installed on, come upgrade time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatix_(software)

FuturePilot
May 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear ...

This is not a distro, just someone who wants to put their own choice of applications together and wants some praise for it.

I cringe reading through that as it is so poorly written - very poor reasoning, too much use of slang, very short sentences and he seems very arrogant, continually saying "Get over it". Just very poor and not at all inspiring.

Totally agree, it has a very arrogant tone. Also I'm pretty sure this has been done, or at least tried to be done, before.

Saint Angeles
May 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM
the perfect distro would have a huge picture of my face on the CD.

the distro would be named after myself... and only the people i want to use it, will use it.

it will read my brain waves to do things like fetch me a beer, make coffee, make a pizza, and make nachos.

it can dispose of my waste and put me to sleep with medications.

i can also hack into any computer in the world and change some important information about myself.

but most importantly, it will have 7 PROXIES!!!!!

Bodsda
May 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Damn, and theres was me thinking someone had actually managed to come up with a definition of perfect that is perfect for everyone. The reason so many distros exist is because people like different things.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 29th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Nice links there (and the desktop /does/ look pretty), but the fact that this fellow doesn't understand why distros upgrade xorg, assuming it's just a malicious act, tells me he probably shouldn't maintain the back end for this distro, instead just a fancy meta-package for Ubuntu (maybe one that pulls repositories with it).

He has a VERY good point, though: Ubuntu, or any other distro, can really kick *** by making more vibrant software choices. How about leaving out some of those OpenOffice components to ship Elisa, and having Jokosher as a replacement to gnome-sound-recorder?

Pitivi is also really making leaps. They recently have rewritten the whole back-end, and it shows. The thing is stable, not ugly, and has nothing but good stuff in its future.

And +1 for MonoDevelop and Empathy :)

Dharmachakra
May 29th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Sounds more like a meta-package than a distro... much like kubuntu-desktop and the like.

Not very exciting if you ask me.

SomeGuyDude
May 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I'm not a fan of a lot of that. I don't like banshee, no need for f-spot, no use for gnome-do...

Give me Arch with some better power management and I'm pretty much happy.

aysiu
May 29th, 2009, 05:43 PM
It sounds interesting. I wouldn't call it the perfect distro. I'd call it another remix. But maybe it's a remix folks will like. A lot of people seem to dig Linux Mint. If this person steps up and actually makes it, great. People can try it. If they like it, they like it. If they don't, they don't.

That's the beauty of open source. You don't need a huge committee to agree on this in order for it to happen. Get a Ubuntu .iso and Reconstructor and make as many remixes as you want. If people actually find those remixes useful, then you've succeeded. If not, you haven't lost much.

Mazza558
May 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Good tagging, apart from the pretty ignorant "lolwut".

the "your perfect != mine" tag also applies to normal users versus power users. Almost everyone who's replied and posted in this thread is a power user, so I was expecting hostility. What I am amazed about is the inability for people to see beyond their immediate needs and try and make Linux better for everyone, not just themselves. It's all well and good saying "blah, blah, this script won't be good for me because I want to compile/write scripts/tweak", but why would you need such a script anyway?

Write a script which installs software better suited to normal users, and this'll increase adoption of Ubuntu. Continue to wallow in a "holier than thou" attitude and none of us will get anywhere.

I worded the title completely wrongly - The blog post I linked to refers to it, but I meant a "more user-friendly"-maker script for Ubuntu. Could a mod possible rename the thread?

It sounds interesting. I wouldn't call it the perfect distro. I'd call it another remix. But maybe it's a remix folks will like. A lot of people seem to dig Linux Mint. If this person steps up and actually makes it, great. People can try it. If they like it, they like it. If they don't, they don't.

That's the beauty of open source. You don't need a huge committee to agree on this in order for it to happen. Get a Ubuntu .iso and Reconstructor and make as many remixes as you want. If people actually find those remixes useful, then you've succeeded. If not, you haven't lost much.

I wouldn't go as far as making an entirely new distribution - it's a waste of time when Ubuntu's base is so good, and a script is a lot more flexible.

aysiu
May 29th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Actually, for the purposes of showing people how "cool" Linux can be, a script is rather annoying.

You would--what--boot up a live CD? Wait twenty or thirty minutes for the script to download and install packages and remove packages? Then tell the person, "Hey, you can come back now and see how cool this is"? That's assuming there's enough RAM to install all those packages.

Or you have them install vanilla Ubuntu, which already (at least according to that person) gives them a bad impression of Linux, and then use the script to try to correct that impression.

I don't think so.

Better to just remaster the .iso and have Linux presented the way you want it to be presented.

And, besides, using Reconstructor to add and remove packages from an .iso isn't more work than creating a good script or metapackage.

In any case, whether it's a script or a remastered live/installer CD, I say "Do it." Don't talk about it. If you really believe in it, do it. You don't have to be a programmer to use Reconstructor. Create this new set of default packages, and if people like it, they like it. If they don't, they don't.

Mazza558
May 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Actually, for the purposes of showing people how "cool" Linux can be, a script is rather annoying.

You would--what--boot up a live CD? Wait twenty or thirty minutes for the script to download and install packages and remove packages? Then tell the person, "Hey, you can come back now and see how cool this is"? That's assuming there's enough RAM to install all those packages.

Or you have them install vanilla Ubuntu, which already (at least according to that person) gives them a bad impression of Linux, and then use the script to try to correct that impression.

I don't think so.

And, besides, using Reconstructor to add and remove packages from an .iso isn't more work than creating a good script or metapackage.

A GUI hiding the script would make it user-friendly - perhaps with a little slideshow showing the things being added? (A bit like the proposed welcome screen for installing Ubuntu itself).

SomeGuyDude
May 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM
The problem I see is that Linux is not, by and large, intended to be a "one size fits all" system. Some are closer than others, but the real beauty of it is that you can make it suit YOUR needs. So there can't be a perfect one because I doubt that many users will agree on what's needed.

After all, the gap between "perfect distro for converting Windows/Mac users" and "perfect distro for people already comfortable with Linux" is a mile wide.

koenn
May 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM
the "your perfect != mine" tag also applies to normal users versus power users. Almost everyone who's replied and posted in this thread is a power user, so I was expecting hostility. What I am amazed about is the inability for people to see beyond their immediate needs and try and make Linux better for everyone, not just themselves. It's all well and good saying "blah, blah, this script won't be good for me because I want to compile/write scripts/tweak", but why would you need such a script anyway?

Those who don't know history, are condemned to repeat it.
Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.

It won't be long before there's an other one like that about distribitions and remixes.

It's not that this is such a bad idea. After all, Ubuntu was born the same way : Let's take debian, select applications people will want on their computer, add a decent desktop on top of it where everything is easily accessible, and change a couple of things to have it all as much things as possible work out of the box.

So, the distro is a good idea, but you're going to have to follow Ubuntu's release schedule, and make sure whatever additional software you add is up to standards every 6 months.

Or you go with the "just run a script to add some software and do some config changes", and then you really should read up on the things that went wrong with Automatix, because it was exactly that : a script to add software and modify configs.

Mazza558
May 29th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Those who don't know history, are condemned to repeat it.
Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.

It won't be long before there's an other one like that about distribitions and remixes.

It's not that this is such a bad idea. After all, Ubuntu was born the same way : Let's take debian, select applications people will want on their computer, add a decent desktop on top of it where everything is easily accessible, and change a couple of things to have it all as much things as possible work out of the box.

So, the distro is a good idea, but you're going to have to follow Ubuntu's release schedule, and make sure whatever additional software you add is up to standards every 6 months.

Or you go with the "just run a script to add some software and do some config changes", and then you really should read up on the things that went wrong with Automatix, because it was exactly that : a script to add software and modify configs.

Was Automatix designed to be run on new installs, or just any config?

koenn
May 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Was Automatix designed to be run on new installs, or just any config?
don't know, never used it.
I think the idea was to run it after a new install to add certain repo's, install certain codecs, ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aubuntuforums.org+automatix

monsterstack
May 29th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Considering all you really need for Ubuntu is a script that activates restricted drivers, restricted codecs and a few applications, I imagine it would be pretty easy to do. Hell I can probably think of one right now.

#! /bin/bash
# The Awesome script

if [ $(whoami) != "root" ] ; then
echo "You must be root to run this script."
exit;
fi;

echo Adding Medibuntu repositories...
wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/jaunty.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

echo Getting updates and keys...
apt-get update && apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && apt-get update

echo Installing restricted software...
apt-get install \
ubuntu-restricted-extras \
w32codecs \
flashplugin-nonfree \
mencoder \
mplayer \
libdvdcss2 -y

echo Installing extra software...
apt-get install \
miro \
gnome-do \
banshee -y

echo Update completed!
exit

Mazza558
May 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Considering all you really need for Ubuntu is a script that activates restricted drivers, restricted codecs and a few applications, I imagine it would be pretty easy to do. Hell I can probably think of one right now.

#! /bin/bash
# The Awesome script

if [ $(whoami) != "root" ] ; then
echo "You must be root to run this script."
exit;
fi;

echo Adding Medibuntu repositories...
wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/jaunty.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

echo Getting updates and keys...
apt-get update && apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && apt-get update

echo Installing restricted software...
apt-get install \
ubuntu-restricted-extras \
w32codecs \
flashplugin-nonfree \
mencoder \
mplayer \
libdvdcss2 -y

echo Installing extra software...
apt-get install \
miro \
gnome-do \
banshee -y

echo Update completed!
exit

Exactly. It's such an easy thing to do, and has massive gains for people who previously thought Ubuntu had no good software. It does, it's just hidden. Gnome-do, banshee, etc - all pretty impressive and not all that well known to new users.

gymophett
May 29th, 2009, 06:24 PM
It's obviously a better idea for new users (and people who actually want to use their PC) rather than more experienced users who want to tweak.

LinuxMint 7 is great for that. Flash, codecs, beautiful out of the box, everything just works.

Namtabmai
May 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Er why not just install Linux Mint? It's based on Ubuntu and has most of the software/codec mentioned installed by default.

Why create another distro to do exactly the same thing.

monsterstack
May 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM
You chaps advocating Mint are missing the point. You can easily make any Linux distrubution look, feel and act like any other (within reason). Aside from a few UI tweaks, Mint's only claim to fame is having restricted stuff available out of the box. You don't need to install an entire OS just for that. A simple transmogrifying script to turn Ubuntu into a Mint-esque machine will suffice. No need for a complete reinstall of everything.

Namtabmai
May 29th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I wasn't advocating Mint.
The OP suggested creating a distro which had certain software installed by default, which Mint has.

I know how easy it is to install these things myself if I need to, but that wasn't what the OP originally wanted.

Mazza558
May 29th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Er why not just install Linux Mint? It's based on Ubuntu and has most of the software/codec mentioned installed by default.

Why create another distro to do exactly the same thing.

It's not another distro, it's a script.

And people don't want to have to download iso files, burn them to the cd, create a partition, and install.

koenn
May 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM

And people don't want to have to download iso files, burn them to the cd, create a partition, and install.

If your script is an add-on to Ubuntu, won't they still have to download Ubuntu iso files, burn them to the cd, create a partition, and install it ?

Dharmachakra
May 29th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Automatix was not a meta-package... so really this is not an Automatix replacement. That's assuming that this type of thing would be implemented as a package. I would do it that way but a script would work just as nicely... they're pretty much the same thing.

Automatix gave the user a whole slew of options. This type of thing would be much more simple and limited.

Again, assuming that I'm on the same page as the writer.

koenn
May 29th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Automatix was not a meta-package... so really this is not an Automatix replacement. That's assuming that this type of thing would be implemented as a package. I would do it that way but a script would work just as nicely... they're pretty much the same thing.

Automatix gave the user a whole slew of options. This type of thing would be much more simple and limited.

Again, assuming that I'm on the same page as the writer.
Whether it's implemented as a script or a package doesn't matter, it's still functionally and conceptually the same.
I't say a package would be a better design choice as it allows for the use of the package manager for version tracking and some built-in functionality to keep copies of existing configuration files, but that assumes it's done the right way.
The OP was talking about a simple shell script, btw

Just how much interaction there is with the user isn't the issue.
And building the thing isn't the issue either. Building it in a maintainable way is, and maintaining it over release upgrades is probably one of the first hurdles.

aysiu
May 29th, 2009, 09:16 PM
If your script is an add-on to Ubuntu, won't they still have to download Ubuntu iso files, burn them to the cd, create a partition, and install it ?
My point exactly.

Let's pretend there really is this "perfect distro" (that is basically just a different set of default packages in Ubuntu) and that showing this remix to new users would wow them into using Linux.

Think about these scenarios:

1. The user does not already have Linux installed in any way shape or form. To show her this Linux version, you have to make sure her computer has enough RAM to install with a script a whole bunch of software in a live session, or you have to repartition her drive and install Ubuntu and then run the script.

2. The user already has Ubuntu installed, in which case they're already acquainted with Linux. But at least then a script can be easily run.

3. You have a remastered .iso of Ubuntu with all your favorite default packages, and you can use that as a live CD to show people how cool your "perfect Linux" remix is, and if they like it, you can install it on their computers.

#3 is the only viable scenario (assuming you think conversion is a worthwhile goal and assuming you think this different set of default packages is, in fact, "the perfect Linux distro").

lykwydchykyn
May 29th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I have to agree that this sounds like automatix all over again.

Automatix was basically a collection of scripts that (among other things) added unofficial repositories and installed packages.

I don't think Automatix was a totally bad idea, but it did cause a lot of people a lot of problems.

If you want to put something like this together, I'd suggest researching Automatix and learning from their mistakes. I'd also suggest not being dismissive of the decisions distros make in what they do and don't package; but rather understanding the reasons why, so that --at the very least -- you can make sure users of the script are forewarned of potential technical or legal problems that may arise.

XubuRoxMySox
May 29th, 2009, 11:49 PM

Go back to post #23. By your argument, Ubuntu isn't a distro either. Just one of many Debian remixes.

What's the difference between a true distro and a remix of one? In the cases of both Ubuntu and Mint, is more than just additional scripts and codexes tied on to an existing OS. Each has special content and programming unique to itself.

So I guess it boils down to what your definition of a distro is. Just apply the definition evenly for all. Is MoonOS a distro? What about Crunchbang? Or the several other variants of Debian/Ubuntu?

Not that I'm disagree'n, I'm just say'n.

-Robin

aysiu
May 29th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't go as far as making an entirely new distribution - it's a waste of time when Ubuntu's base is so good, and a script is a lot more flexible. I don't think you understand.

Remastering the Ubuntu .iso isn't "making an entirely new distribution." It's just saving you the trouble of having to install Ubuntu and then run your script every time you want to show people how cool "the perfect Linux distro" is.

Have you ever used Reconstructor before?
http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/

wsonar
May 30th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I'm going to work on a distro one one day I will call it

FREE

what do you run?

I run FREE :)

Slug71
May 30th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I would base it off Foresight Linux.

SuperSonic4
May 30th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I would base it off arch and sticking to KISS although since arch has already done that I guess nothing needs to be done :p

Putting in some GUI tools and a live cd would be good - not unlike Chakra without the kde stuff.

ezsit
May 30th, 2009, 12:21 AM
aysiu wrote:

3. You have a remastered .iso of Ubuntu with all your favorite default packages, and you can use that as a live CD to show people how cool your "perfect Linux" remix is, and if they like it, you can install it on their computers.

Why don't y'all head over to
http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/index.html

The author has a program/script that allows Debian and Ubuntu users to transfer their installed system to liveCD/DVD. I have used it for Ubuntu 7.10 through 8.10 and it works beautifully.

I install and customize Ubuntu just how I want to with all my own selections of software, then run remastersys and presto, I have an ISO of a a livecd/dvd to take and install elsewhere, use as a backup, or just show off. Give it a shot.

gn2
May 30th, 2009, 12:31 AM
+1 for Remastersys, it's excellent.

aysiu
June 1st, 2009, 08:12 PM
+1 for Remastersys, it's excellent.
Thanks for the tip about Remastersys. It's a lot easier to use than Reconstructor, and it appears to be a lot more flexible, too. I just used it for the first time this past weekend, and I was able to make a live CD of my tweaked HP Mini Ubuntu setup.

It was as simple as:
1. Add the Remastersys repository
2. Install remastersys
3. Copy user configuration files to /etc/skel and change ownership of those folders and files to root
4. Run Remastersys

I really can't imagine how creating a script could be easier than this.

If people really have an idea for how a "perfect 'distro' [remix, really]" should be, they should install Ubuntu, tweak it as they see fit, and then use Remastersys to create an .iso of it.

Mazza558
June 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the tip about Remastersys. It's a lot easier to use than Reconstructor, and it appears to be a lot more flexible, too. I just used it for the first time this past weekend, and I was able to make a live CD of my tweaked HP Mini Ubuntu setup.

It was as simple as:
1. Add the Remastersys repository
2. Install remastersys
3. Copy user configuration files to /etc/skel and change ownership of those folders and files to root
4. Run Remastersys

I really can't imagine how creating a script could be easier than this.

If people really have an idea for how a "perfect 'distro' [remix, really]" should be, they should install Ubuntu, tweak it as they see fit, and then use Remastersys to create an .iso of it.

How would you keep it under 700mb though?

Regenweald
June 1st, 2009, 08:37 PM

Your perfect desktop doesn't have to start with Ubuntu-desktop. I currently use Gnome-core, which saved me about 700 mb initially after a minimal install, and with all my apps installed I'm pretty sure I could remaster sub 700. It's your custom spin, think outside the box :)

aysiu
June 1st, 2009, 08:45 PM

Your perfect desktop doesn't have to start with Ubuntu-desktop. I currently use Gnome-core, which saved me about 700 mb initially after a minimal install, and with all my apps installed I'm pretty sure I could remaster sub 700. It's your custom spin, think outside the box :) What Regenweald says is true. You don't have to keep the default Ubuntu apps and then add to them. You could replace some with other apps. You could remove some apps altogether (I know why Ubuntu puts in the braille and Bluetooth programs, but I never use those).

I would take out all the Ubuntu artwork, Ubuntu sounds, Ubuntu GDM themes, and a whole bunch of other stuff. You can find ways to make it work.

Just remember that your .iso will always be smaller than the installed system. So just because your installed system is 2.6 GB doesn't mean your .iso will also be 2.6 GB. In fact, it will probably be less than 700 MB.

jaj23
June 1st, 2009, 09:20 PM
Just burn it onto a blank dvd instead. Problem solved.

I rate the idea of a better default install as well. Got to be better for the average user with all those tweeks.

Anyone try that script from an earlier post?

albinootje
June 1st, 2009, 09:27 PM

+1 Exactly.

And besides that there are already several Linux distributions which come with audio and video codecs and closed-source software.

aysiu
June 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM
Just burn it onto a blank dvd instead. Problem solved. It'd just limit your potential audience. Not everyone has a fast internet connection to download a file bigger than 700 MB. And not everyone has a DVD burner.

Viva
June 1st, 2009, 10:30 PM
“Say whuuuut? But, Bryan, Skype is closed source!”

Yeah. I know. Get over it. Skype works. Everyone uses it. And so do we.

Its not just about philosophy, you don't have the legal rights to ship non-free software

Viva
June 1st, 2009, 10:41 PM
The only thing Ubuntu needs is a professional first run wizard that lets you install the restricted packages and drivers.

aysiu
June 1st, 2009, 10:49 PM
The only thing Ubuntu needs is a professional first run wizard that lets you install the restricted packages and drivers.
If Ubuntu implements a first-run wizard or a pop-up video tutorial, I'm immediately switching to another distro.

Regenweald
June 1st, 2009, 10:58 PM

All Ubuntu needs, is users that look before leaping. I know this is an alien idea to many in these forums, but before i even downloaded the live cd, i visited Ubuntu.com and......................wait for it.................................read. :)

So immediately after install, I checked, and lo and behold! mp3's would not play, so i did what the nice people suggested that i do seeing as they TOLD me this would happen. opened Add remove, installed some gstreamer packages......magic.

Viva
June 1st, 2009, 11:40 PM
If Ubuntu implements a first-run wizard or a pop-up video tutorial, I'm immediately switching to another distro.

Why's that? Nothing wrong in your OS asking if you want to install the required software when you don't ship it. You and me may not need it, but first time users will find it useful.

aysiu
June 2nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Why's that? Nothing wrong in your OS asking if you want to install the required software when you don't ship it. You and me may not need it, but first time users will find it useful.
Actually, there is something wrong with it. It's annoying. One of the things I love about Ubuntu is its commitment to simplicity--one application per task, sensible defaults, and no confusing pestering questions.

When I first was exploring distros back in 2005, one of the things that annoyed me most about Mandriva's and Fedora's installers was all the questions I got asked. And, yes, I was a first-time Linux user back then.

Also, years of pre-NoScript web browsing has made me automatically have a negative reaction to anything that remotely looks like a pop-up.

Ubuntu just needs to continue refining its easy codec installation process so that it's seamless. They've made some serious strides in the Hardware Drivers process. Somewhere along the way the prompt to install Flash in Firefox got lost, though.

ezsit
June 3rd, 2009, 07:29 PM

What I do is download the alternative Ubuntu disk and install a command line system. Run apt-get and update the command line system. Install Xorg, gdm, and a DE, then whatever other programs I want (just not OpenOffice) and I can usually keep the CD to under 700MB no problemo! If I add OpenOffice, break out the DVDs cause its going take up space. Y'all can test my remastersys project by downloading:

http://www.geekconnection.org/users/ezsit/ezxfce/ezxfce240.iso

This is 781MB and the checksum is
ff6bfa6e026ad4f061bd8fe05907aa6c

perspectoff
May 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM

So, ummm, what do you think ubuntu-restricted-extras is?

Metapackages and installation wizards are philosophically the same thing.

aysiu
May 25th, 2010, 09:05 PM
So, ummm, what do you think ubuntu-restricted-extras is?
Um, it's not a first-run wizard or pop-up video tutorial.

I'm talking about the first time you boot Ubuntu having some thing pop up in your face without you're prompting it.

I'm not talking about you wanting to install some codecs and Ubuntu making it easier.

Metapackages and installation wizards are philosophically the same thing.They are not at all philosophically the same thing. One thing gets in your face unsolicited. The other is there when you ask for it.

perspectoff
May 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Having tried both the installer script method and the remaster method (using remastersys), I can't say that either method is better.

Debian packages are not perfect, and many of them require user interaction in ways that are not always script-compliant. Further, many packages are from programs that don't use Debian as their base installation, so the Debian package differs from the original developer ideas.

Further, there can be many parameter configurations that can only be set after a package is fully installed. To set them by script during installation either requires a random number generator or a non-secure setting.

This complexity does not always lend itself to installation scripts, therefore, and a remaster, nay, a filesystem image, even, is required.

The Debian installer is pretty good about allowing preseeding, but other packages are not.

Even the ubuntu-restricted-extras and kubuntu-restricted-extras metapackages only became auto-installing for the first time in Lucid. (Before that, user intervention was required.)

The Ubuntu Customization Kit and Reconstructor are rudimentary at this time, but they are on the right track.

The Ubuntu LiveCDCustomization instructions are pretty good, but could be made into a nice GUI format so that anyone could easily customize their own installation (either as an installer only, a la the Alternate Install CD, or as a LiveCD).

Then Ubuntu could really fill a lot more specialized itches (I mean niches).

Timmer1240
May 26th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Mines perfect>"For me"

neoargon
May 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Exactly what came to my mind skimming the linked site.

Me too thought the same . I don't like many of the applications mentioned in that blog post . Many people will certainly have different opinion .

neoargon
May 26th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Actually, there is something wrong with it. It's annoying. One of the things I love about Ubuntu is its commitment to simplicity--one application per task, sensible defaults, and no confusing pestering questions.

When I first was exploring distros back in 2005, one of the things that annoyed me most about Mandriva's and Fedora's installers was all the questions I got asked. And, yes, I was a first-time Linux user back then.

Also, years of pre-NoScript web browsing has made me automatically have a negative reaction to anything that remotely looks like a pop-up.

Ubuntu just needs to continue refining its easy codec installation process so that it's seamless. They've made some serious strides in the Hardware Drivers process. Somewhere along the way the prompt to install Flash in Firefox got lost, though.

I agree . I too felt the difficulty when installing fedora . It was the first linux distro I used . A new linux user won't know anything about most of the linux softwares , so choosing from unknowns will be difficult .

Mr. Picklesworth
May 26th, 2010, 06:42 AM

The perfect Linux distro / let's build it.

http://lunduke.com/?p=1095
“Ubuntu 10.04 - Perfect”

Enough said :)

jrusso2
May 26th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Linux needs less cooks not more.

Possum Films
May 26th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I don't think many people really care about included applications. Over 70% of computers still run Windows XP which only includes Windows Media player, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express plus a few "accessories" such as Paint, Notepad, etc and most users will replace the included apps with ones of their own choice anyway (iTunes, Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird, RealPlayer, etc). In my opinion what could be improved in Ubuntu to make it the perfect Linux distro would be to have better hardware support, particulary for different sound cards and wireless cards. Out of the box support for 3d graphics hardware (Nvidia and ATI cards in particular) would also be nice although this isn't really an issue because it is very easy to install the drivers manually.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 26th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Linux needs less cooks not more.

No, Linux can definitely use more cooks. It would be nice if there weren't so many servers, though; they make it harder for the cooks.