PDA

View Full Version : Why do you love linux ?

praveesh
May 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Why do you love linux ?. (by the word "linux" I meant linux distro ;not the kernel). My reason is that it is free . Free in money sense and the freedom to share . Open source development doesnt attract me highly since Iam not a developer . In my opinion , it helps poor children and poor people own a computer (linux is doing a social service). Since it is community developed , I often think :"It is our os" . Windows doesnt give such a feeling .More over there are a lot of other benefits like high stability (it doesnt hang/crash when copying from a cd with scratches & in many other situations),high security (I never encounter any malware in it),customisability, desktop effects and much more . I would like to hear what you all think .what made you attracted to linux?

fatality_uk
May 29th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I don't. It's a kernel for an operating system I use to give me low level access to my PC.

I like using it because it fulfills all that I need in an OS.

frodon
May 29th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Duplicate threads merged

k2t0f12d
May 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Linux = free software kernel program
GNU = software design implemented to replace proprietary UNIX
GNU+Linux = Operating system
Ubuntu = collection of software running on GNU+Linux

drpjkurian
May 29th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Why do you love linux ?. (by the word "linux" I meant linux distro ;not the kernel). My reason is that it is free . Free in money sense and the freedom to share . Open source development doesnt attract me highly since Iam not a developer . In my opinion , it helps poor children and poor people own a computer (linux is doing a social service). Since it is community developed , I often think :"It is our os" . Windows doesnt give such a feeling . I would like to hear what you all think .

I love it but i do not know why, I have started becoming little craze about linux.

it is defenitely our OS:p:-P

praveesh
May 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Linux = free software kernel program
GNU = software design implemented to replace proprietary UNIX
GNU+Linux = Operating system
Ubuntu = collection of software running on GNU+Linux
I know I know!. What I really meant is to use the word linux to represent all the GNU/linux distributions . In our place , we usualy use linux as a general word to represent all distros . Many of the people dont know about distributions . So I use the word linux . Sorry for the confusion created.

jimmyhacker
May 29th, 2009, 11:17 AM
i started this with a video by YouTube.i seen Compiz and i was a lil bit shocked.i learned english by this forum.now im a mature person,i dont like to fight,i love education,i like to help other people just because of this OS.this system created a guru in me.Stability,Efficiency,Speed,Security,Variety and Funny words by Fortune....this is what i need.i spend 1 hour for any operations.Before,when i was a Windows noob,i had really big troubles with PC`s.now i laugh at people when they say "My pc got slow,i`m going to format now.".

k2t0f12d
May 29th, 2009, 11:23 AM
i started this with a video by YouTube.i seen Compiz and i was a lil bit shocked.i learned english by this forum.now im a mature person,i dont like to fight,i love education,i like to help other people just because of this OS.this system created a guru in me.Stability,Efficiency,Speed,Security,Variety and Funny words by Fortune....this is what i need.i spend 1 hour for any operations.Before,when i was a Windows noob,i had really big troubles with PC`s.now i laugh at people when they say "My pc got slow,i`m going to format now.".Your English is rather good. Nice job self-teaching. What is your native tongue?

XubuRoxMySox
May 29th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Many little things add up. It's fully customizable so Linux can be anything I need it to be - from eye candy and fun games on a newer computer to bare-bones (graphical or not) on older hardware.

It's smarter than Windows, too. The old copy-and-paste routine from Windows (highlight, then select Edit>Copy and Edit>Paste) is simpler. In Linux I highlight and it's already copied! Then middle-click to paste. Done!) is simply easier and makes more sense in Linux.

It seems to me that Linux makes better use of resources than Windows did on my computers. It even makes better use of broadband!

For me the issue has always been that a computer is a tool. It shoud do what I want it to do, not tell me what to do. If a car requires too much money and time for upkeep and maintenance, it's not worth it. You "trade up" (if you can afford to) when a car or appliance becomes so expensive and time consuming to maintain. Linux is low-maintenance! I can run applications instead of running the operating system. Gee, what a concept!

Linux has no registry. So no registry errors to clean up. No vulnerability to most viruses. Better security, more time to play, less worry that pushing the wrong button could cause a catastrophic disruption in the space-time continuum. Easy to install, re-install, update, and configure (just in case I do push the wrong button somehow).

Lots to love about Linux!

-Robin

gn2
May 29th, 2009, 12:45 PM
What I enjoy most about Linux is the community.

jono2009
May 29th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Linux has for me everything I can use and more. It's so good not have to battle with Windo$es malfunctions, (sometimes I used to wonder who actually owned my computer), viruses, spyware, you can't do this, can't do that, reformating ARRRR.

Now it's just enjoyment, Linux is free as is this communities support and friendship.:biggrin:

Harpie Queen
May 29th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Free, stable, apps are free, no mal/spyware. That's why I started. Now also gnometris, shinyness, ease of use.

Script Warlock
May 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM
i almost have everything without paying a single dime:KS

Dimitriid
May 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM
It works, its stable, powers up my not-so-new hardware. Don't have to pay or pirate. Having centralized package system is also nice, seems to do cleaner installs and upgrades. Lots of support if you are willing to take a DIY approach.

wallyba
May 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Freedom of choice.
Great performance.
Stability.
A powerful command line.

And... forums like this one in wich a lot of people helps a lot of people.

BTW... I think this thread could be more complete if you ask why do you love and why do you hate linux too (or what things of linux do you hate, at least).

stwschool
May 29th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Linux makes my life easier. I maintain lots of computers, and frankly my workload has dropped to bugger all since the switch. I've been able to build tools to automate much of my work such that I can concentrate on teaching rather than maintenance which makes me happy. Linux runs my Windows stuff brilliantly thanks to Wine. Linux has lots of cool programs running natively. Linux offers a brilliant development platform for my needs. I can have fun tinkering with it. Linux gets the job done.

RiceMonster
May 29th, 2009, 05:00 PM
The old copy-and-paste routine from Windows (highlight, then select Edit>Copy and Edit>Paste) is simpler.

or, you can just hilight and hit Ctrl-C then Ctrl-V. Not time consuming.

SomeGuyDude
May 29th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Free.
Customizable.
Free.
More responsive.
Free.
Better security.
Free.

The fact that it's free helps, too.

Crystek
May 29th, 2009, 06:15 PM
It does everything I need and more. It runs well on older hardware. It's stable and secure. And it costs nothing. What's not to love?

b@sh_n3rd
May 29th, 2009, 07:11 PM
It makes me feel free. It helps me enjoy my PC. Helps me have lots of fun. No distractions. I can do what I want. I can do anything un-thinkable on windows. Customizability. Flexibility. I can be ME (In other words, I can be a better geek on Linux than on Windows :D...don't misunderstand this. I'm not saying linux is good for geeks (ok, maybe), but more FLEXIBLE for anything and anyone).

rliegh
May 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Actually, these days I'm pretty "at least it's not windows" about Linux TBH...not so much in love.