PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] system will freeze and unfreeze periodically

vokuro
May 29th, 2009, 09:02 AM
just did a cd install of ubuntu and am experiencing programs that continue to freeze and unfreeze. after about 10 minutes the entire system will lock up. i am dual booting xp and am experiencing no problems with windows. i have also tried a cd install of kubuntu with the same problems. hardware issues? if so, why does windows perform fine?

system specs:

amd athlon 2500+
1 gig 3200 ram

theozzlives
May 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM
just did a cd install of ubuntu and am experiencing programs that continue to freeze and unfreeze. after about 10 minutes the entire system will lock up. i am dual booting xp and am experiencing no problems with windows. i have also tried a cd install of kubuntu with the same problems. hardware issues? if so, why does windows perform fine?

Does the active window get darker, or kinda greyed out? If so it may be a system load issue. If your using XP, it only requires 64 MB RAM and a 166 MHz CPU... quite antiquated.

vokuro
May 29th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Does the active window get darker, or kinda greyed out? If so it may be a system load issue. If your using XP, it only requires 64 MB RAM and a 166 MHz CPU... quite antiquated.

yes, at times the active window will gray out and stop responding, while other times it will just continue trying to load (the cursor will animate, indicating its busy) until the system freezes. this primarily happens with programs that require an internet connection i.e. firefox, synaptic, and the update program, although other programs will freeze as well

paul_anders
May 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM
im having the same problem i it freezes randomly.
in mine what seems to happen when i doing something on the desktop ie. resizing, draggin, opening or closing a window. then suddenly i can move the mouse around but cannot click on anything. ie nothing on the screem is responsive to mouse. then moments later the mouse freezes too.

i just post another post where ubuntu 9.04 cannot copy large file 4.4gig to its destination. i have been with linux for quite a while and this release
is total bullox.

at first i thought the crashing was to do with x server but im comming to
the conclusion that its worse than that.

i never heard of a linux system freezing in CLI well on mine it does when
copying.

i just cant understand why people knock windows, because linux has its weak points too... you got to be fair

Iusedtowearatie
May 29th, 2009, 12:31 PM
This thread goes into quite some depth regarding the freezes:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1135055