PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] something goes wrong

mathijs175
May 29th, 2009, 08:24 AM
hello all.

first of all, im new to ubuntu and here, so plz expain everything in language i can understand(though i know a lot about hardware).

I have a problem with installing ubuntu 9.04 on a computer. downloaded the iso, checked the hash, put it on a disk etc. then say install it. I get trough all the steps and then on to the installation part. here starts the problems. somethimes it stops around 30% of the instalation(happened 3 times). then it gives an error that there might be a fault in the cd, Or the drive, Or de harddisk. result of this i made a new cd, and changed the drive(was broken, something rattled very bad at the end).

with the new drive i get around the 70% of installation(no errors anymore). but then it goes to ubuntu, i didnt have any message of restarting my computer or installation has finished etc(sitting right next to it). when i shut the computer down, and restart it, i cant get on ubuntu, and have to install it again.

im a doing something wrong? i hope you can help me.

mathijs175.

ps. sorry for my english, it isnt my first language.

Partyboi2
May 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Hi, try checking the cd for defects if you have not already, its one of the options at the main menu of the ubuntu cd.

mathijs175
May 29th, 2009, 10:13 AM
no errors found in scanning the cd.

i just changed the harddisk to a newer one, 20 gyg instead of 10 gyg, going to try now if he can install.

edit:
it didnt work, it stopped around 33% and the screen went black.

does someone else have an idea?

trwww
May 29th, 2009, 10:37 AM
with the new drive i get around the 70% of installation(no errors anymore). but then it goes to ubuntu... when i shut the computer down, and restart it, i cant get on ubuntu, and have to install it again.

Are you sure you are installing? This sounds to me like you are running the live cd version of ubuntu.

Could you descibe a little more what you mean by "but then it goes to ubuntu"?

regards,

mathijs175
May 29th, 2009, 10:44 AM
yes i am shure i am installing. i have to give my username and pass etc. with a live cd i can get on ubuntu without any problems(think you mean the option to test out ubuntu without installing?).

it sais it is installing, and suddenly it starts up ubuntu, pretty much like going to ubuntu without installing.

somethimes it also just freezes, or the screen gets black, and i cant get it back.

presence1960
May 29th, 2009, 11:39 AM
yes i am shure i am installing. i have to give my username and pass etc. with a live cd i can get on ubuntu without any problems(think you mean the option to test out ubuntu without installing?).

it sais it is installing, and suddenly it starts up ubuntu, pretty much like going to ubuntu without installing.

somethimes it also just freezes, or the screen gets black, and i cant get it back.

if you are having problems installing try the alternate text installer. It isn't as pretty but it works. you can get it here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors.

mathijs175
May 29th, 2009, 02:09 PM
unfortunatly that didnt work, checked the cd, hash was correct and no errors, so tried to install.

it went good untill he arived at the select and install software part. around 80% he sais there is something wrong with it. when i try to skip it and go on with the boodloaders. both of them(grub and lilo) dont want to install.

what should i do now?