PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Importing settings from one ubuntu install to another

markhepworth
May 29th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Hi,

I am currently installing jaunty on an old xp desktop, having tried it out on my netbook for about a month. I would quite like to be able to import the settings for the various programs I have already set up (so have my openoffice toolbars the same, have the same settings for pidgin, etc etc). Is there a nice method or tool for doing this, or is it a matter of copying various files by hand (and if so, will simply copying files from one user dir to another do it?)

Thanks, Mark

merlinus
May 29th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Most app settings are in hidden files in your home directory that are preceded by a dot (.)

You can copy over most of them, but for programs like Firefox and Thunderbird, which use xxxx.default subdirectories, you will have to do it a bit differently, i.e. open those directories and replace whatever xxx.default exists with your old one.

markhepworth
May 29th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the swift reply - my install isn't even finished yet - I'm just waiting for update manager to do it's thing!

Your solution sounds viable, and for firefox/thunderbird I can just copy profiles over anyway.

Thanks, Mark

p.s. I'm very impressed that ubuntu has installed on my horrid 7 year old desktop without a murmur of complaint so far. Networking out of the box, etc etc.