PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't decide what to get?

privatejarhead
May 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Hello everyone at ubuntuforums. first post, yay! lol

anyways, I have been saving up for a laptop. searching the net for good deals and i found these three affordable lappies shown below. at first i wanted a system76 due to all the great reviews i've seen about them, but considering this will be coming out of my wallet and not my parents (need to get a summer job >.>), there was no way i could ever get one. I've looked up most of the hardware on the ubuntu hardware lists and some i couldnt even find. just wanted your opinion on which of these would be the better machine. couldnt even find anything on the compaq...only found cq50's.

Dell I15
Intel Pentium Dual Core t4200
2gb ram
160gb hdd
Intel GMA X4500HD
$404 before tax

HP Compaq CQ60Z
AMD Athlon X2 QL-65
2gb ram
160gb hdd
nVidia GeForce 8200M G
$500 before tax

HP G60t
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400
2gb ram
160gb hdd
Intel GMA 4500MHD
$500 before tax

(all other specs are factory standard)

I'm leaning towards the compaq because of its AMD processor (had 3 computers already with only AMD) and the nVidia, which I've heard was great with ubuntu, but I've also heard horror stories with that company. The I15 uses Dell's Wireless-G card while I couldn't find what HP/Compaq used. Any suggestions would be welcomed and thanks in advance =).

fatality_uk
May 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Firstly, welcome to the forums.

My suggestion would be to the HP Compaq CQ60Z. Good spec, HP usually good solid machine and nVidia card, always a bonus!

Rory Williams
May 28th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Hey,
I would definitely go with the HP. Never had any problems with HP myself, plus the nvidia graphics make it superior to any Intel GMA piece of crap.

blueridgedog
May 29th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I recommend anything with nVidia. Check out the rigs here (http://www.linux-laptop.net/).

Saint_
May 29th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Now personally I'm gonna have to object to the above posts..I bought an HP laptop roughly 8 months ago and I've been pretty pissed with it. I mean they are decently solid, but for me it was just disappointing. HP inserts a bit of their own tyrannical capitalism into their BIOS now (the newer systems), by not allowing a downgrade to windows XP via a BSoD. I called HP and they claimed it was because XP wouldn't support the laptops drivers once it downgraded, which I know is ********. Also their laptops are a bit overpriced. Personally I say go with Toshiba, but that's just my 2 cents.

zeroseven0183
May 29th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Welcome to the forums and thank you for asking for opinion.

If I had that money, I'd go for the HP G60t (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=+Everyday+computing&series_name=G60t_series).

Unfortunately, I only have this (http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-compaq-nc6400-core/4507-3121_7-31851193.html?tag=mncol;rnav). Old school.

crew51m
May 29th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Go with a toshiba. They are upper end laptops, but you can find some less expensive ones. I have two and they work great. My new one is an A305 S6916 with no problems using jaunty 9.04.

freeman2000
May 29th, 2009, 02:31 AM
SEMPER FI !!!

Here's my 2 cents worth:

Stay away from Dell... unless it's comes pre-loaded with a Linux distro and has no MS crapware. My top-of-the-line Dell laptop lasted 13 months before it fried the motherboard - $2500 down the drain! Dell's stance: too bad the warranty's only 12 months!

I'd also stay away from Toshiba. Overpriced! You get the same components/internals, but pay a 20-40% premium. Why? For the same price you can get a Sony VAIO - a great machine.

I'd recommend what I have now - an HP laptop with the AMD64 x2 chip with the nVidia graphics card. I've had it for 2 rough years now with no problems. Great value! Saves money over a comparable Intel chip, and you will have less problems running graphics on any Linux distro with the nVidia card vs the Intel card. Good luck.

Therion
May 29th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Of the three you've listed go with the HP Compaq CQ60Z.

privatejarhead
May 29th, 2009, 06:55 PM
thanks so much for all the help. the reason i listed the dell was because of the price and i have a friend who said that dell was great with ubuntu. i was a bit weary about the g60t because my cousin has one and the hinge is broken (although she has 2 kids as well...). saw the compaq with a friend who owns one and i love the amd processor and nvidia, so that was my personal favorite. well now i know what to get. still need to earn the money, but hopefully by then the price will be slightly lower =).

mrpinchy
May 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I about three weeks ago picked up my new (and first) computer.

I do have one complaint - the battery life bl#ws, less than two hours.

REFURBISHED $399.00
Micro Center.

Compaq CQ60-215DX
2 gig Athlon X2 64
2 gigs RAM
250 gig HD
CD&DVD RW
NVidia card
3 USBs
5 in 1 card reader

It seems to be a decent machine, I'm not gaming or anything like that. I just keep the charger handy.