PDA

View Full Version : What's the best thing in iPhone? In your opinion

Gucko
May 28th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Hi guys, I really want to know what do you think is the best thing in iPhone.

CharmyBee
May 28th, 2009, 10:20 PM
the hardware. I care less about the apple-ness of it and the ridiculous price.

Paqman
May 28th, 2009, 10:24 PM
It's all about the apps, really. I'm looking to get an Android phone, but i'm pretty jealous of the size of the iPhone app store compared to the Android one.

Simian Man
May 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
It's all about the apps, really. I'm looking to get an Android phone, but i'm pretty jealous of the size of the iPhone app store compared to the Android one.

But with an Android phone, you can make your own apps :).

khelben1979
May 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Nothing, unless there's a possibility to install Linux on it. Is it?

pwnst*r
May 28th, 2009, 10:30 PM

technically, you can with an iphone too.

i voted design and apps. especially after jailbreaking you have access to even MORE apps. there's too many to go through honestly.

Simian Man
May 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
technically, you can with an iphone too.

Legally, easily and free?

pwnst*r
May 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM

i said technically.

legally? debatable
easily? never wrote an app, go find out
free? what?

.Maleficus.
May 28th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Legally? Unless you release them in Cydia or Installer I don't see why they wouldn't be legal.
Easily? It's Objective-C. They have a huge online dev center that you can register to for free.
Free? See second item. *Note - they have a Developer Program that costs $99 for individuals and $299 for enterprises which, from what I gather, just gets you a few more cool things like a preview of the OS 3.0.

burvowski
May 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
My favourite thing is that it's spurned phone companies to start coming out with decent phones to compete with it. They've had the tech to make cool phones like that for a while, but were holding off to milk the crappy inventory they already had out on the market.

Paqman
May 28th, 2009, 11:44 PM

Maybe you can.

SunnyRabbiera
May 28th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Anyone got a sledgehammer so we can find out? ;)

donniezazen
May 29th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Hi,

I don't know if its that easy to make an app. I don't know how many people have time or motivation for making app for every other thing.

It is true that iPhone is a complete phone. Right now i have to carry a phone, a music player and an Internet tablet. But with an iPhone you don't have to carry all these stuff. iPhone is a good phone, an excellent music player and a good Internet browsing device. With all this apps make it a complete device.

SK.

Paqman
May 29th, 2009, 12:05 AM
iPhone is a good phone, an excellent music player and a good Internet browsing device. With all this apps make it a complete device.

Pretty much any phone with a decent sized screen will do all three of those well though. And it's only since they belatedly put 3G into the iPhone that it's become usable for the internet. I own a GPRS phone, and it's useless for the internet. 3G is compulsory.

I never understood all the hype when the iPhone came out: "It's an iPod too!". Well, so is every phone made in the last 10 years.

doorknob60
May 29th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I never understood all the hype when the iPhone came out: "It's an iPod too!". Well, so is every phone made in the last 10 years.

Ye..no! None of the phones that my family has could even dream of playing music, and they're pretty recent. I think the apps are the best part, but I don't plan on getting one since the plan is expensive, it's Apple (would have to use Windows to get apps and music on it) and AT&T is crap (they don't even have service in Bend, lame!).

Paqman
May 29th, 2009, 01:45 AM
None of the phones that my family has could even dream of playing music, and they're pretty recent.

Pretty much any phone that will take an SD/MMC card should be able to play back mp3s off it. My old 6230 does and it's from way back in 2004.

pwnst*r
May 29th, 2009, 02:24 AM

wow, how untrue is that

Paqman
May 29th, 2009, 02:32 AM
wow, how untrue is that

Playing mp3s on your phone was not a cool new feature in 2007.

.Maleficus.
May 29th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Not only is 2007 != 10 years ago, neither is 2004. And whether or not other phones can do it is besides the point - the iPhone does it better.

Edit: I'm curious about why Hardware isn't getting more votes. iPhones have beefier hardware than PSPs (or the PSPs of 2008 era, I don't know if they've changed).

Vostrocity
May 29th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I hate Apple as a company and I will never buy an Apple product. However I have to say that their design is incredible. Without Apple the entire tech industry wouldn't be where it is right now. Just look at how popular chiclet keys became when the white MacBook was released and how many two tone laptops came out right after the aluminum MacBook. I also need to praise the 2nd gen iPod Touch. Extremely impressive that they were able to fit a BlueTooth chip, WiFi chip, accelerometer, Nike+ transmitter, and capacitive multi-touch screen all in a device less than a third of an inch thick.

Wa1k3rTXRang3r
May 29th, 2009, 02:52 AM
the apps are cool. but then again so is android...

pwnst*r
May 29th, 2009, 03:00 AM

you specifically said ipod. just because a phone can play mp3's makes it an ipod not.

Vostrocity
May 29th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Actually I was going to say that iPhone apps generally suck. Apple's approval process is infamously infamous and there are too many useless/repetitive/commercialized/low quality/cheesy apps. :D

hanzomon4
May 29th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I have to go with the OS... hardware is nothing if the OS sucks same with apps. The operating system makes the wonderful apps possible. The design? It's a thin black slate with a silver ring around it... yay?

Paqman
May 29th, 2009, 03:17 AM
you specifically said ipod. just because a phone can play mp3's makes it an ipod not.

OK, not an "iPod" but definitely an mp3 player. Either way, it was a particularly silly piece of Apple hyperbole that had their fanbois frothing over nothing. It certainly wasn't a feature that set the iPhone apart from other smartphones (or even contemporary dumbphones). The revolutionary things about the iPhone were the touchscreen-only interface and the app store. And the fact that it had magical Apple pixie dust sprinkled all over it, of course.

Paqman
May 29th, 2009, 03:20 AM
there are too many useless/repetitive/commercialized/low quality/cheesy apps. :D

Sounds a lot like a Linux repo :p

That doesn't mean the top 5% aren't really, really good apps.

pwnst*r
May 29th, 2009, 03:20 AM
OK, not an "iPod" but definitely an mp3 player. Either way, it was a particularly silly piece of Apple hyperbole that had their fanbois frothing over nothing. It certainly wasn't a feature that set the iPhone apart from other smartphones (or even contemporary dumbphones). The revolutionary things about the iPhone were the touchscreen-only interface and the app store. And the fact that it had magical Apple pixie dust sprinkled all over it, of course.

there are tons of DAP's, but only a handful do them right. the ipod is one.

Kilgore_Trout
May 29th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Have to agree with pwnst*r on this one. Many basic phones have music playing capability, but have you ever tried to use it? On Verizon it is a soul-sucking experience that seems to involve paying to download single tracks for $3.99. The phone that I bought in 2005 actually had disabled mp3 play so that you were tied to the vcast store.

I did not use this phone as an ipod. I used the phone as my phone and my ipod as an ipod. Now I use my iphone as my phone and my ipod and it's as advertised.

And as a previous poster mentioned... the popularity of the iPhone is good bc it spurns other manufacturers to.. gasp... make it easier (and cheaper) for users to do the things they like with their phones, like play music and use GPS. This was largely not the case prior to the iPhone.

amitabhishek
May 29th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Come think of it...iPhone is one heck of a device!!!I have been seeing how companies after companies have been try to roll out iPhone killers only to fail miserably.If nothing iPhone has compelled others to come out of slumber.

PurposeOfReason
May 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Design. Sleek and simple. Once 3.0 hits and has a landscape keyboard, it'll be pretty good IMO. Still more of a toy though as it is a phone + internet + games. I've had one and the email is sub-par (attachments are cool, at least I think so), can't read work documents (I guess that doesn't matter as you can't get attachments :roll:), and isn't that great until jailbroken.

koshatnik
May 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM
The best thing about the iphone, is the same with an ipod - it allows me to identify people that I dont want to talk to.:p

amitabhishek
May 29th, 2009, 08:41 AM
The best thing about the iphone, is the same with an ipod - it allows me to identify people that I dont want to talk to.:p

Isn't every phone does that?

Giant Speck
May 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM
My favorite part about the iPhone is the large selection of applications.

My favorite application will always be Pandora, and now that Anchorage has 3G, I can listen to my Pandora stations anywhere I go at anytime.

I also love finding new applications. For example, I found this really nifty application called pic2shop which allows me to scan barcodes and find information about products.

gn2
May 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Best thing about the iPhone is that they're given away free.
Pity about the high monthly contract charges though.

Giant Speck
May 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Best thing about the iPhone is that they're given away free.
Pity about the high monthly contract charges though.

How high are the monthly charges in Scotland?

I pay around $75 (46 or 53) per month, which is comparable to what I was paying when I had my Blackjack II. The difference is the iPhone is a much better deal for that much money per month than the Blackjack II was.

gn2
May 29th, 2009, 09:16 AM
The price plans are here (http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/iphoneindex/Pay_Monthly/3G).

34.26 ($55 US, 39) a month for a minimum of two years, so that free iPhone will cost 822 ($1320 US, 942).

By comparison the (sim only) call plan I'm on is 9.80 a month.
Is the iPhone worth an extra 24 a month?
For me it most definitely isn't.

Vostrocity
May 30th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Remember how insanely expensive the iPhone was back in 2007? 600 bucks for 8GBs and that's with a 2 year contract, or you could just get any cameraphone/musicphone for free after rebate.

bashveank
May 30th, 2009, 07:17 AM
The apps and the design.
I wouldn't have bought my iPod Touch if it weren't for the apps - the only thing that keeps me with my iPod Touch, and has me considering going for an iPhone is the apps.
But if it were a clunker like any other smartphone out there than I might just do without it.

gn2
May 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Remember how insanely expensive the iPhone was back in 2007? 600 bucks for 8GBs and that's with a 2 year contract,

And in the UK they struggled to shift them so bad they had to start giving them away free.

steev182
May 30th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Well thats down to the way we buy phones, they are heavily subsidized. I bought my iPhone when it dropped to 169, and I sold my iPod Touch to a colleague for 100 to help fund it. I then jailbroke and unlocked the phone to use it with the phone contract that I had at the time.

The iPhone's best feature is indeed its catalyst to create better phones. My next phone will be Android based though.

Gucko
May 30th, 2009, 09:09 AM
my favourite thing is that it's spurned phone companies to start coming out with decent phones to compete with it. They've had the tech to make cool phones like that for a while, but were holding off to milk the crappy inventory they already had out on the market.

++++++1

Vostrocity
May 31st, 2009, 04:25 AM
The iPhone's best feature is indeed its catalyst to create better phones.

Yes that's what every Apple product does. And that's all I care about Apple for. Whenever Apple comes out with something cool, I wait for all the other companies to come out with something that's just as good but without all the Apple crap.

pwnst*r
May 31st, 2009, 07:00 AM
Yes that's what every Apple product does. And that's all I care about Apple for. Whenever Apple comes out with something cool, I wait for all the other companies to come out with something that's just as good but without all the Apple crap.

except, for some things, they're not "just as good". at least not yet.

handy
June 1st, 2009, 09:58 AM
The best thing about my iPod Touch, is that it hasn't got a phone in it! :p

I find the large screen, easy to use design of the iPod/iPhone Touch series to be the easiest for my old eyes & brain combo' to use.

They are just so simple to see/understand/use, brilliant, in a word.

My wife has an iPhone, & adores the simplicity/ease of use.