PDA

View Full Version : what's nBuntu?

b@sh_n3rd
May 28th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I was browsing around launchpad a while ago and came across something called, nBuntu...what's nBuntu? There seems to be a lack of knowledge on this distro and all I've got so far is that it's UI is different, seems techie...and that it's got some different security settings? Anyways, I thought I'll ask a Q here as I don't seem to be able to find anything anywhere else...

calrogman
May 28th, 2009, 09:47 PM
nUbuntu is a flavor of Ubuntu created for penetration and security testing (or, if you will, "hacking").

b@sh_n3rd
May 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Oh...so it's like a network monitoring OS or something? :D

burvowski
May 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM
How is it better for security testing over vanilla Ubuntu? I don't quite understand that... :oops:

FuturePilot
May 28th, 2009, 11:51 PM
How is it better for security testing over vanilla Ubuntu? I don't quite understand that... :oops:

It contains a number of security tools that are not on the Ubuntu live CD. Of course you could install those same tools on Ubuntu, but the thing here is, it's in a ready-to-go live CD format that you can take with you. It also has removed lot of unneeded programs (in terms of penetration testing) like OpenOffice.

gletob
May 28th, 2009, 11:56 PM
It's a lot easier to find it when you spell Nubuntu correctly
http://www.nubuntu.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUbuntu

xpod
May 28th, 2009, 11:58 PM
How is it better for security testing over vanilla Ubuntu? I don't quite understand that...

Possibly because of all the relevant applications that are installed.
Nothing you couldn`t install yourself though.
It`s like an *buntu version of BT4.

Heres a couple of Virtualbox screenshots.
115506 115507 115508

b@sh_n3rd
May 29th, 2009, 06:08 AM
It's a lot easier to find it when you spell Nubuntu correctly
http://www.nubuntu.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUbuntu

Oh yeah, it's nUbuntu...I got confused...srry :D

drawkcab
May 29th, 2009, 06:47 AM
i thought the new backtrack 4 beta was based on kubuntu?

b@sh_n3rd
May 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I was downloading nUbuntu when I started this thread. I burnt it on CD and booted up my PC on it. Overall, the boot menu is quite like Ubuntu, except for the "nUbuntu" tag. It's sooo cool...It's even got a reflection. It boots up in the usual way but stops at the linux shell. From there, I have to call X to start "Fluxbox". This is quite cool but lacking certain aspects. Ubuntu, with GNOME seems a bit lively in this term. I think nUbuntu would be quite cool for a geek, but after starting with Ubuntu, I don't even feel like trying to install nUbuntu :D. However, I have heard that it's possible to install GNOME on nUbuntu. nUbuntu's GUI uses cairo-dock by default and other menu selections are available by right-clicking on the desktop. I'd say nUbuntu is like a ready-made Gentoo install, but a little different :D (The way it stopped at the shell prompt reminded me of Gentoo. Hence the comparison with Gentoo).

burvowski
May 29th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Do you actually have a need for nUbuntu's features/pre-installed software or do you just enjoy it's visuals?

b@sh_n3rd
May 29th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Do you actually have a need for nUbuntu's features/pre-installed software or do you just enjoy it's visuals?

lol, no actually I just stumbled upon it accidentally and was curious as to what it is...So I got a download and I might install it on another PC I have set aside for experimental purposes...:D I'm still quite new to nUbuntu as this thread and my prev. post suggests...

drawkcab
May 31st, 2009, 02:49 AM
the problem with installing and running one of these security penetration OSs as your primary is that if anyone wants to dig around in your box, they've already got everything they need installed

it seems smarter to install it to a usb drive or sd card and boot into it when you need that stuff

b@sh_n3rd
May 31st, 2009, 10:48 AM
the problem with installing and running one of these security penetration OSs as your primary is that if anyone wants to dig around in your box, they've already got everything they need installed

it seems smarter to install it to a usb drive or sd card and boot into it when you need that stuff

really? I did try it but from the LiveCD, it was taking too long to install onto my usb drive...