PDA

View Full Version : How do I compile ALSA?

rreyes1316
May 28th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I am still fairly new here. I have downloaded alsa driver 1.0.20 tar.bz2 onto the desktop and am not sure what to do next. I have an aspire one D150 that has the mic which does not work. I am using UNR 9.04 and wish to install the latest Alsa driver to see if I can get the mic to work. How do I backup the current drivers and install the newly downloaded drivers? And just in case i need to, how do I reinstall the original drivers? I found some instructions to compile it with ./configure --with-cards=all but I am not sure what this means.

Thanks

kerry_s
May 28th, 2009, 09:31 PM
you don't need to compile it.
in the terminal:
sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-utils
or
use synaptic to install it from the repo.

make sure you run "alsamixer" crank up all the volumes and unmute, use the "m" button to umute, it should be green.

khelben1979
May 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
ALSA Quick install (http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Quick_Install) in case you want to do it anyway.

rreyes3000
May 29th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I tried to use the command and this is what I get.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
alsa-base is already the newest version.
alsa-utils is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Should I downgrade to a different driver to get the mic to work? What other suggestions might you have?

kerry_s
May 29th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I tried to use the command and this is what I get.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
alsa-base is already the newest version.
alsa-utils is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Should I downgrade to a different driver to get the mic to work? What other suggestions might you have?

did you run alsamixer and unmute everything? the mic is always muted as default.