PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hard Drive HElp PLease

enzodad
May 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Hello. I been useing vista for a few months now due to software i am not able to use with ubuntu. I love ubuntu though and am switching back. BUT in vist i use my 150gbs HDD as primary installation ect and i have a secnd HDD120gbs that is used as /d but as more storage they arent in raid nor combined. The second harddrive is just mass storage lol. I would like the same setup in ubuntu, one hd as extra storage. When i clicked install it gave me option to select install for any one of the drives but i am not sure how to set up one as install one as storage can anyone give me artards guide thanks :):KS

lindsay7
May 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM
You can use your home directory as storage if you set it up that way. Do the manual install option. If your current second hard drive is just a data drive now. I would repartition it using the live Gparted program which you can download (go to the Gparted web site) as an ISO image and burn it to a cd. It will boot from your cd drive and you can shrink you current partition and set up two new partitions. One of the new ones should be set up as the / mount point and the other as /home. check the box to format as ext 3 or ext 4 and the Ubuntu install disk will do the rest. Be sure not to check the format box for the existing data partition that you already have.

IsmAvatar
May 28th, 2009, 08:58 PM
You will want to resize the Vista partition. But before you do this, make sure that you have defragged Vista, so that everything is in one clump on the hard-drive, so that when you do resize, you don't overwrite anything that was outlying.
It's kind of like cropping (resizing) a photo (analogy to Windows) so that you can fit another picture (linux) next to it in a page in a picture album (analogy to Hard Drive).

enzodad
May 29th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Thanks ill give it a shot ill actuly be ditching vista .. using ubuntu from now on