PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with AWN, Emerald & Python!

AbsentHarvest
May 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Simply put...
I cannot run any of these things... there may be more... I don't know why they're not working... I've tried everything I don't know how to reinstall them. I tried reinstalling, removal or upgrading. I get this bloody error.

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/python-awn_0.3.2-0ubuntu2_i386.deb: subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/python-awn-extras_0.3.2.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb: subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/python-awnlib_0.3.2.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb: subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

Then I get a pop up saying I suffered from a crash, and that I should report it. Blah, blah, blah.

I don't know why emerald is having this problem... It looks more like AWN is the main cause of this. None of them are working... Any solutions?

lemming465
May 30th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Does
sudo -i
aptitude clean
aptitude update
aptitude full-upgrade
help the situation any? Sometimes cleaning out the APT cache clears up problems with corrupted package downloads.

It can help to change the download server sometimes too, if a repository is having synchronization problems (Synaptic -> Settings -> Repositories; change the "Download from" drop down).

If neither of those quick & dirty brute-force simplistic solutions helps, you may be stuck delving into the intricacies of using dpkg directly.