PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu fresh install

nategerr
May 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I am having one helluva time getting linux on this machine of mine and breaking the old ball and chain of Windows XP. First I downloaded mandriva and tried to boot up. No dice ("fatal initialization error"). Now Im testing my luck with ubuntu 9.04. I downloaded the iso file, copied the image to cd and stuck it in and tried to install on a freshly formatted 80G hard drive. do I need to do something in the format (NTFS or FAT32)? I have one partition of each just to be safe. I tried downloading both the 32bit and 64bit versions of ubuntu still nothing. What operates on this bit rate? my procesor? File system on hard drive? My computer won't even boot with cd or at all since it's formatted. just says "remove disk, media and press anykey to restart" ARRRGH! I did build this computer myself with only minor electrocutions and fire so I'm not usually a dumbass around these things but without a command prompt, I'm lost. I would welcome any help, advice or prayers

Here's my computer
Asus p4pe ,P4 2GHz
512Mb pc2700
80G Western Digital
Fujitsu DVD Burner/reader

Thanks guys
Nathan

merlinus
May 28th, 2009, 07:57 PM
You need to burn the .iso as a disk image, not copy it. That may be your problem.

If the cd has only one file, it has been burned incorrectly. You should see directories and files.

nategerr
May 28th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Yup, used Active ISO burner and Fienman ISO recorder for the image file for both 32 and 64bit versions. still nothing but a bunch of coasters. I can access and explore this cd through windows on my other machine running XP but can't boot up and initialize install on my formatted computer. All the files and directories are there (wubi.exe, readme.txt etc). is it time to take this computer out to the wood shed?