PDA

View Full Version : SmartPhone, Ubuntu and threeeeeeeeeeeeee

kneewax
May 28th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hey Guys,

Here's a strange set of requirements. The way I work has changed significantly since signing my contract with the'3' cell network in the UK. I now find that I increasingly need some of the functionality of a smart phone, syncing contacts, calendars, tasks etc as well as email and web access outr and about. HOWEVER I also use Ubuntu with a combination of Google Calendars and Thunderbird with Lightening extension.

So what should I look at in terms of mobile handsets? They need to be compatible with Ubuntu / TB (sunbird) / and the Three network which is renowned for being picky about which units it will work on.

Does anyone use this combination of software and devices? I don't mind migrating MAPI client to Evolution or similar if I HAD too.

Any suggestions folks? I don't mind getting an older handset if req.

maflynn
May 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM
would an android based phone fit your needs?

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM
My experience with Three mobile network has been dreadful. The coverage in my area (south-east UK) is just dreadful. My grilfriend and I got a couple of those Skype phones for almost-completely-free conversations with each other. The trouble is the damned things never worked properly. Sometimes I couldn't connect to Skype for weeks at a time. Really lousy service. :(

ajmctaggart
May 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I for one have no idea about "3's" service.

However, to use Ubuntu, Thunderbird, Google, etc...you want a phone that is capable of SyncML...Android is definitely an option, same with Nokias, Sony Ericsons, Palms, anything that has a smartphone status probably has a native or 3rd party client for SyncML...

Opensync is the easiest way to get started syncing on Ubuntu, and has a lot of plugins for services such as those you mentioned you use...I don't really think you HAVE to use evolution...just use the multisync-gui client or use from the command line...

I should mention that although it's easy to get seamless syncing between 2 devices, I haven't been as lucky with 3...keep in mind my only experience with this was with 2 Nokias, I think many have reported successes using 2 or more services, such as Google's or Thunderbird, for example.

Just start in Synaptic, look at the plugins to see if Opensync will or won't suit your needs...Probably some Googling to get it setup correctly.

Good Luck!