PDA

View Full Version : Mint Security

gn2
May 28th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Mint 7 has launched, in the blog announcement (http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=847) it says:

The root password is now set as the same as the one chosen during the installation. A blog post will follow to explain why and how this was implemented.

Is this something for Mint users to be concerned about?

The Toxic Mite
May 28th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I believe it is so. :/

mamamia88
May 28th, 2009, 07:37 PM
i use mint and i really don't care. the only time i ever enter my password is to install programs from the repos. why should i worry?

fatality_uk
May 28th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Nah. I mean as we all know, computer users never use the same password for say online banking and then their PC login and say a hotmail account and say a home web site. And users always use at least 10 digit, alpha-numeric password which are non-dictionary based to protect themselves!

:s

exploder
May 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I run Mint 7, the installer warns if the password is weak so I do not see where anyone would have a problem. Why would a hacker target a home users computer anyway? My password is 11 characters, letters and numbers. I am not concerned.

Edit: Also, I almost never logon as root.

sisco311
May 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM
It's not a major security risk, but I still don't understand why a root password is needed.

I have a root password on Arch because I need it to boot in single user mode, but sulogin in Ubuntu is patched to handle the default case of a locked root password.

Do I miss something?

exploder
May 28th, 2009, 11:39 PM
The root account is there because people kept asking for it.

sisco311
May 29th, 2009, 12:07 AM
The root account is there because people kept asking for it.

cool!!!

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 13 “Free Beer”

Introduction to Linux Mint 13:

The 13th release of Linux Mint comes with numerous bug fixes and a lot of improvements. Now every time you boot in Linux Mint we will send for you a six pack of your favorite beer...

Paqman
May 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Interesting to see Mint steadily diverging from it's Ubuntu mothership.

CJ Master
May 29th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Mint 7 has launched, in the blog announcement (http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=847) it says:

Is this something for Mint users to be concerned about?

Not at the littlest bit. I'm wondering what half the people here are thinking.

Sudo = Su + Do! (requires user password.)
Su = Super user (requires root password.)

Either way you get FULL access to your system. It's also arguably safer this way, as there's only one password (instead of two) that hackers can use to gain full control.

sisco311
May 29th, 2009, 01:30 AM
It's also arguably safer this way, as there's only one password (instead of two) that hackers can use to gain full control.

there are (only) two accounts that hackers can use to gain full control with only one password.