PDA

View Full Version : Google maps

richg
May 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
This has nothing to do with Ubuntu, though I am running a Linux PC.

I was playing around with Google maps and found out the Google camera truck has been down my residential street in a small city in Massachusetts. The scene is as if I was standing in the street and looking around 360 degrees. I could clearly see my stepson's SUV in the driveway. I can "look" up and down also. Using the cursor keys I can almost "walk" along the street and see all the neighbor's homes and what vehicle's some drive.
Quite interesting.

Rich

craigeo
May 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
hehehe, I just saw my house the same way yesterday. My truck is in the driveway and everything.

xpod
May 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Street view is great eh.:p

EDIT:
Not everybody (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2350771.ece) likes it though.

MikeTheC
May 28th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah, they've been doing that now for I want to say the last couple years or so. It's great for being able to "drive around" different cities. One of the industries they're trying to appeal to with it is real estate, since it allows one to visit different houses and check out the neighborhood all from the comfort and convenience of your computer.

I've actually "driven" around London and surrounding towns in England using the Street View mode. Obviously it's not quite the same thing as being there, but it sure is cheaper! :)

When you're in normal satellite view, over on the left side where the up/down zoom bar is, above that is a stylized "person". When the person is standing straight up and is gray, there are no street view locations within the area you're currently looking at. When he's bent forward slightly and yellow in color, then your present view includes at least some street view locations. If you click and drag him into the map, while holding him you'll see blue outlines of all the areas of all the streets for which there is a street view; and moreover, as you drag him around, you'll notice a green spot show up to indicate where you'll be "deposited" into a street view.

It's very cool, simple, and functional.

capnthommo
May 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM
yes i looked at it, it's pretty good.
but when it was released in the uk Whooooeee! did it all hit the fan. "people can look in our windows' 'it's an open invitation to thieves and (shh) paedophiles!!!!' people can see if i'm out and rob me' 'it's an invasion of my privacy' it was open season on google for a time, in the 'red top' press and amongst the little britainers.
sometimes i despair - the images aren't real time are they? or the roads would be choked with google camera cars wouldn't they.

cheers
nigel

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 09:39 PM
yes i looked at it, it's pretty good.
but when it was released in the uk Whooooeee! did it all hit the fan. "people can look in our windows' 'it's an open invitation to thieves and (shh) paedophiles!!!!' people can see if i'm out and rob me' 'it's an invasion of my privacy' it was open season on google for a time, in the 'red top' press and amongst the little britainers.
sometimes i despair - the images aren't real time are they? or the roads would be choked with google camera cars wouldn't they.

cheers
nigel

That's right. And google will remove photographs on request. We British are strange creatures. If it was the government taking photographs and making some sort of super-mega paedophile database, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

chucky chuckaluck
May 28th, 2009, 10:51 PM
"i don't avoid google, mandrake, but i do deny them my essence."

fatality_uk
May 28th, 2009, 11:12 PM
It's helped me a lot in looking for a new house.
You can virtuallt stroll down a street :)
Also helps avoid "chav" areas as you can see your potential neighbours :P