PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to mount network drive on boot

corkscrew
May 28th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I have moved from win xp to linux so far really happy except for network drives.

I have a network with laptop and 2 x desktops and 2 LAN drives (fat32).
Running Hardy 64 on 2 machines and xp on the other, all can see each other etc.

I can access the drives through nautilus ok, but i want these drives to mount automatically on boot so i can run automated backups to them. The drives also power down for energy saving.

I cant find a simple how to to do this just a bewildering amount of threads pertaining to sbmf and cif

At least in windows the drives mount automatically I hate to think windows is superior in this field but to me it like the case at the moment.

Celauran
May 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM
From help.ubuntu.com (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba):

In order to have a share mounted automatically every time you reboot, you need to do the following:

With any editor, create a file containing your Windows/Samba user account details:

gksu gedit /etc/samba/user

KDE users must use kdesu rather than gksu and instead of Gedit they can use Kwrite as editor.

... it should contain two lines as follows:

username=samba_user
password=samba_user_password

Note: "samba_user" = the user name on the samba server (may be different from your log-in name on the client). "samba_user_password" is the password you assigned to the samba_user on the samba server.

Save the file and exit gedit.

Change the permissions on the file for security:

sudo chmod 0400 /etc/samba/user # permissions of 0400 = read only

Now create a directory where you want to mount your share (e.g. /media/samba_share):

sudo mkdir /media/samba_share

Now, using any editor, and add a line to /etc/fstab for your SMB share as follows:

sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak
gksu gedit /etc/fstab

Add a line for your SMB share:

//myserver_ip_address/myshare /media/samba_share cifs credentials=/etc/samba/user,noexec 0 0

The share will mount automatically when you boot. The "noexec" option prevents executable scripts running from the SMB share.

corkscrew
May 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM
From help.ubuntu.com (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba):

In order to have a share mounted automatically every time you reboot, you need to do the following:

With any editor, create a file containing your Windows/Samba user account details:

gksu gedit /etc/samba/user

KDE users must use kdesu rather than gksu and instead of Gedit they can use Kwrite as editor.

... it should contain two lines as follows:

username=samba_user
password=samba_user_password

Note: "samba_user" = the user name on the samba server (may be different from your log-in name on the client). "samba_user_password" is the password you assigned to the samba_user on the samba server.

Save the file and exit gedit.

Change the permissions on the file for security:

sudo chmod 0400 /etc/samba/user # permissions of 0400 = read only

Now create a directory where you want to mount your share (e.g. /media/samba_share):

sudo mkdir /media/samba_share

Now, using any editor, and add a line to /etc/fstab for your SMB share as follows:

sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak
gksu gedit /etc/fstab

Add a line for your SMB share:

//myserver_ip_address/myshare /media/samba_share cifs credentials=/etc/samba/user,noexec 0 0

The share will mount automatically when you boot. The "noexec" option prevents executable scripts running from the SMB share.

hi thanks in advance, fell at the first hurdle though

cm@m3n78:~$ gksu edit /etc/samba/user
Warning: unknown mime-type for "/etc/samba/user" -- using "application/*"Error: no "edit" mailcap rules found for type "application/*"
lication/*"cm@m3n78:~$

Boondoklife
May 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Im gonna go out on a limb but it maybe cause you typed gksu edit and not gksu gedit? ;)

corkscrew
May 29th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Im gonna go out on a limb but it maybe cause you typed gksu edit and not gksu gedit? ;)

oops yes well spotted, ok got all done but the drive still wont mount here's the line i added to my fstab

//198.168.25.45/LAN-DISK1 /media/storage cifs credentials=/etc/samba/user,noexec 0 0

the actual folder i want to access is /lan-disk1/store1 should i put that in fstab

Boondoklife
May 29th, 2009, 12:24 PM
try this
//server/public /media/public cifs auto,user,credentials=/root/.credentials,iocharset=utf8,dir_mode=0666,file_mod e=0777 0 0

woohhaa
May 29th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I'm very new to ubuntu and this helped a ton. But when I followed the directions it didn't work. I found that I needed to install smbfs in order for this to work.

Code:
sudo aptitude install smbfs

After that it worked just right. Thanks for the great advice!

Boondoklife
May 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM
out of curiosity what version of ubuntu you runnin? I installed jaunty and dont remember having to install it, guess it came installed?

woohhaa
May 29th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I am using jaunty 9.04. I went through the steps to the best of my ability then restarted with no automatic mount. I then spoke with a friend about this issue and he pointed me to the page below. After reading through it I tried the command I mentioned earlier and restarted again. This time it worked like a charm. Go figure.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba#Client

ericsp
July 12th, 2009, 04:45 PM
got it all running with the help of this thread. however, when I open the drive, all folders are inaccessible. When type "smb://192.168.10.1/media/" in nautilus, I see all folders as folders. when i access the mounted drive via "/media/networkdrive/media" I see a sort of textfile icon with an orange block marked with a white cross (inaccessible). Any suggestion?