PDA

View Full Version : Slightly modified volume applet - mockup

jmmL
May 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Just had a thought. It would be nice if there was an option to embed the volume applet in the bar, in the same way that music-applet is embedded. I don't know how to do it myself, but I've included a mockup to show everyone what I mean.

Does anyone know if anything like this is currently available? If not, can anyone quickly hack something together? :D

hyperdude111
May 28th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I dont think anything like this exists, but imo it uses up too much panel space and looks ugly.

hanzomon4
May 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Sorry... pass

chris4585
May 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I've had this very idea for a while now, and I want it.

binbash
May 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM
i dont think anything like this exists, but imo it uses up too much panel space and looks ugly.

+1

jmmL
May 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Well, it definitely looks ugly because all I've done is taken the current pop-out volume box and super-imposed it on a screenshot of my desktop. The mockup is intended to only show the function of the idea, not the actual form. It also looks ugly because I didn't do any colour-matching and I didn't even bother to do a nice smooth scale.

However, I will concede that it takes up a large proportion of the top-bar space. Then again, so does the time and weather applet, and I find that incredibly useful. My feeling is that there are probably people out there (myself included) that would find this feature useful. Also, the empty space isn't really doing much, so you might as well use it (although filling up the whole top bar probably isn't a great idea because then it would be hard to tell where one applet stopped and another started).

EDIT: I realised that the title might be confusing. I'm not suggesting this should be the default form of the applet, just that an embedded mode would be cool to have in the preferences. Or perhaps even a separate applet that was just a slider with up/down/mute buttons and didn't have any extra links to volume control and preferences in the right-click menu.