Pidgin
May 28th, 2009, 02:57 PM
#include <stdio.h>

const fpos_t pos = 1000;

int main()
{
return 0;
}

The above code generates the following error when compiled with "gcc -Wall -o a a.c".

a.c:3: error: invalid initializer
What's wrong?
Thank you!

Zugzwang
May 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM
"fpos_t" is a "struct" and not just a number, so you cannot simply assign such a variable a number.

Pidgin
May 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM
"fpos_t" is a "struct" and not just a number, so you cannot simply assign such a variable a number.

Well, could you please make more explanations? I could not find the definition of fpos_t in gcc. However the same code works with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.

Zugzwang
May 28th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Well, could you please make more explanations? I could not find the definition of fpos_t in gcc. However the same code works with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.

me@here:/usr/include$ cd /usr/include
me@here:/usr/include$ grep -Hirn "fpos_t" *
_G_config.h:26:} _G_fpos_t;
boost/compatibility/cpp_c_headers/cstdio:12: using ::fpos_t;
boost/iostreams/positioning.hpp:27:namespace std { using ::fpos_t; }
boost/iostreams/positioning.hpp:54:inline stream_offset fpos_t_to_offset(std::fpos_t pos)
boost/iostreams/positioning.hpp:70: return fpos_t_to_offset(pos.seekpos()) +
boost/iostreams/positioning.hpp:81: // use implementation-specific member function get_fpos_t().
boost/iostreams/positioning.hpp:82: return fpos_t_to_offset(pos.get_fpos_t()) +
boost/iostreams/positioning.hpp:84: stream_offset(std::streamoff(pos.get_fpos_t()));
c++/4.3.3/cstdio:101: using ::fpos_t;
c++/4.3/cstdio:101: using ::fpos_t;
libio.h:34:#define _IO_pos_t _G_fpos_t /* obsolete */
libio.h:35:#define _IO_fpos_t _G_fpos_t
grep: warning: lua50/lua: recursive directory loop

python2.6/pyconfig.h:882:/* The size of `fpos_t', as computed by sizeof. */
python2.6/pyconfig.h:883:#define SIZEOF_FPOS_T 16
stdio.h:91:typedef _G_fpos_t fpos_t;
stdio.h:93:typedef _G_fpos64_t fpos_t;
stdio.h:767:extern int fgetpos (FILE *__restrict __stream, fpos_t *__restrict __pos);
stdio.h:772:extern int fsetpos (FILE *__stream, __const fpos_t *__pos);
stdio.h:776: fpos_t *__restrict __pos), fgetpos64);
stdio.h:778: (FILE *__stream, __const fpos_t *__pos), fsetpos64);

So "fpos_t" is defined as being the same as "_G_fpos_t" (stdio.h:91), which in turn is defined in "_G_config.h", which contains:

typedef struct
{
__off_t __pos;
__mbstate_t __state;
} _G_fpos_t;

nvteighen
May 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM
In other words, have you read the API documentation for whatever library (boost?) you're using? There's where you'll find what each type is expected to do and behaive!

hod139
May 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM
You are not suppose to touch the internals of fpos_t objects. Doing so instantly makes your code non-portable. You are suppose to use the functions fgetpos and fsetpos, passing a reference of the fpos_t object.

soltanis
May 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Doing so instantly makes your code non-portable.

So instantly, in fact, that even a passing glance could render your entire project doomed to be bound to the platform you wrote it on (cue horror music)!!!

Pidgin
May 29th, 2009, 02:12 AM
In other words, have you read the API documentation for whatever library (boost?) you're using? There's where you'll find what each type is expected to do and behaive!

Yes, I have. I have read the documentation of glibc. But it does not explain how the structure fpos_t works.

Pidgin
May 29th, 2009, 02:22 AM
You are not suppose to touch the internals of fpos_t objects. Doing so instantly makes your code non-portable. You are suppose to use the functions fgetpos and fsetpos, passing a reference of the fpos_t object.

Could you please give an example on how to use fsetpos to reach a specific location without touching fpos_t objects?

nvteighen
May 29th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Yes, I have. I have read the documentation of glibc. But it does not explain how the structure fpos_t works.

You don't need any initializer... fsetpos() is all you need; it will "save" the (FILE *)'s current position and then you'll be able to reuse it with fgetpos().

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
fpos_t pos; /* Not a pointer! */
FILE *myfile = fopen("a", "r");

/* ... */

fsetpos(myfile, &pos); /* You should check if fsetpos returns -1 (error). */

/* ... */

fgetpos(myfile, &pos); /* Not sure why it asks for a (fpos_t *). */

fclose(myfile);

return 0;
}

Pidgin
May 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM
You don't need any initializer... fsetpos() is all you need; it will "save" the (FILE *)'s current position and then you'll be able to reuse it with fgetpos().

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
fpos_t pos; /* Not a pointer! */
FILE *myfile = fopen("a", "r");

/* ... */

fsetpos(myfile, &pos); /* You should check if fsetpos returns -1 (error). */

/* ... */

fgetpos(myfile, &pos); /* Not sure why it asks for a (fpos_t *). */

fclose(myfile);

return 0;
}

I am sorry but I cannot understand your code.
You pass the address of an object of the type fpos_t to fsetpos before initializing the object. Where do you think fsetpos would take you?
Additionally, I really want to seek to a specific offset within a file. Should I use fseek instead?
Thank you!

Zugzwang
May 29th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I am sorry but I cannot understand your code.
You pass the address of an object of the type fpos_t to fsetpos before initializing the object. Where do you think fsetpos would take you?

nvteighen mixed up fgetpos and fsetpos. Just swap them and the code should be fine.

Additionally, I really want to seek to a specific offset within a file. Should I use fseek instead?

As it is now obvious that "fpos_t" objects are really just for getting back to a position you've already been at in the file, the answer should now be obvious as well: yes!

Pidgin
May 29th, 2009, 01:45 PM
nvteighen mixed up fgetpos and fsetpos. Just swap them and the code should be fine.

As it is now obvious that "fpos_t" objects are really just for getting back to a position you've already been at in the file, the answer should now be obvious as well: yes!

Oh, I see. Thank you!

nvteighen
May 29th, 2009, 08:21 PM

Thanks. I thought fsetpos() and fgetpos() were "methods" of fpos_t, but now I see they are "methods" of FILE *. That's why I got it inverted. Sorry for the confusion! :)

Pidgin
May 30th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Thanks. I thought fsetpos() and fgetpos() were "methods" of fpos_t, but now I see they are "methods" of FILE *. That's why I got it inverted. Sorry for the confusion! :)

Never mind.