PDA

View Full Version : Using Gcc version 3.4 with Ubuntu 8.10

abhilash82
May 28th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Is it possible to install and use
gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 and GNU C Library version 2.3.4 in Ubuntu 8.10?

I have to use the above versions for my compilation.

If it is not possible with Ubuntu 8.10, then please suggest a suitable Ubuntu version which would enable me to do so.

regala
May 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Is it possible to install and use
gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 and GNU C Library version 2.3.4 in Ubuntu 8.10?

I have to use the above versions for my compilation.

If it is not possible with Ubuntu 8.10, then please suggest a suitable Ubuntu version which would enable me to do so.

as for gcc 3.4.6, you can download the sources from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu
and build it, (./configure + make bootstrap cmdline spell wizardry)

but, I fail to see why you would need glibc 2.3.4.
changing the libc on a system is not "simple", as for what I know, replacing your current glibc with a lower version one, will definitly break all the binaries running on your box (which are linked against glibc 2.7, IIRC). if not impossible, it's lethal for your system.

You can try a chroot, but this is quite long to explain here. google can help you with the search "gcc toolchain chroot".

maybe I am rude, but why would you need to compile something against a lower glibc which is quite "old". are you cross-compiling ?

PS: the version of Ubuntu you would need was Ubuntu 5.10, the Breezy Badger, which is not supported, nor available for download, I guess.

ssam
May 28th, 2009, 05:16 PM
you can get old ubuntu releases from
http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/

it may be best to install the old release in a virtual machine, as it may not have support for your hardware. it may also be worth doing a minimal or server install, if you dont need a gui on it.