PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu CD

Niksko
May 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Wasn't sure where to ask this, so I chose here.
I ordered a Jaunty CD about a month ago, and then a week later I ordered a copy of Kubuntu. My Kubuntu CD arrived a week ago, but my regular Ubuntu CD hasn't arrived yet. Problem is, I need regular Ubuntu. Should I re-order, or is there an easy way to install gnome into Kubuntu? I wouldn't mind having both desktop environments installed.

Thanks
-Nik

abn91c
May 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Assuming you ordered from ship-it, log in to the site, it will say there the shipping status.
you can also do sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Mehall
May 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Wasn't sure where to ask this, so I chose here.
I ordered a Jaunty CD about a month ago, and then a week later I ordered a copy of Kubuntu. My Kubuntu CD arrived a week ago, but my regular Ubuntu CD hasn't arrived yet. Problem is, I need regular Ubuntu. Should I re-order, or is there an easy way to install gnome into Kubuntu? I wouldn't mind having both desktop environments installed.

Thanks
-Nik

If you don't mind the download of gnome (I'm guessing you might, if you ordered CD's) you can run (in a terminal):

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

That command will install the full default set of Gnome and all the apps that come with it in Ubuntu.

And Kubuntu generally ships faster since there is less demand for that cd.

I just wish they would ship alternate install discs ;_;

I would be surprised if your disc took more than another fortnight to get to you, unless shipping fscked up.

Niksko
May 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Sure, downloading is an option. But A) I'd rather have the nice package, and B) my midyear exams are in two weeks, so I will only have time to install Jaunty then.

The bit about Kubuntu shipping faster because there is less demand is exactly the type of info I was looking for. And yes, alternate install disks would be nice. Or at least make it possible to upgrade from the regular install cd.

Thanks

-Nik