PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] recover files deleted from formatted usb stick

keratos
May 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Does anyone know if there is a suitable, and very good, tool for recovering files from a 8GB USB stick that has had its partition table deleted, a new partition created, formatted and a few small files (400K) added.

'Generic posting': Incidentally, does anyone agree with me that of late many posts to the forums seem to attract responses of the like "try google" or "have you searched the forums?", or "mine doesnt do this" etc. This seems to be an increasing trend. Whilst this increases ones post account and thus rank, it does absolutely nothing for the requestor. Of course, it also takes the post off the 'posts with no responses' search, which can be frustrating and potentially steer members (innocently) away from assisting the requestor. In certain cases, where requestors perhaps fail to provide adequate information, then a "please provide more info" response is deserved. But generally, some of the responses to threads in the forums is of low/zero quality and the cynic in me would believe members do this purely to climb the ranks. ?:?

p.s. I thank members in advance for PLEASE PLEASE posting sensible real genuine solutions to my issue above together with any views on the 'generic posting' item.

Thanks

milio1401
May 29th, 2009, 12:53 AM
try this website it worked for me
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery
i used foremost and recoverjpeg,recoverjpeg worked better for me actually,i tried to recover videos from my usb flash drive and when i got them i could see just like 30 seconds of some of the videos,the usb flash drive i recovered the pics from had been previously formatted because i couldn't access it you can see what the problem was it's in one of my threads.I hope that helps.

keratos
May 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Great response. Thanks.

Your link appeared in my google search for "data recovery" but because it was related to ubuntu I did not follow the link. Had I done, I would of realised that the referenced tools are not just for ubuntu or indeed linux. (I am attempting to recover a FAT32 partition)