PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Technical Specs

kakashi_12
May 28th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Is there anywhere in Linux to view your RAM and processor speed? How much RAM will Ubuntu see? Or even better, Linux in general, how much will it see? Will it see dual-core or quad-core?

lisati
May 28th, 2009, 11:58 AM
There are a handful of commands that might prove interesting. For example:
sudo dmidecode

timcredible
May 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM
system->administration->system monitor->system will tell you how much memory and what kind/how many cpus you have. as for 'will it see dual or quad core', yes, it will, unix/linux had multi-core systems long before windows.

kakashi_12
May 28th, 2009, 01:18 PM
awesome!

finer recliner
May 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
from the command line, you can generate a useful reference page using:

sudo lshw -html > ~/computer_specs.html

this will list the specs for ALL of your hardware and dump it to an html page in your home directory.

PS: this command works in ubuntu, but i'm not sure how many other distros have it.

fatality_uk
May 28th, 2009, 02:32 PM
PS: this command works in ubuntu, but i'm not sure how many other distros have it.

Most do, or can easily get hold of it in repos.

mcduck
May 28th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Is there anywhere in Linux to view your RAM and processor speed? How much RAM will Ubuntu see? Or even better, Linux in general, how much will it see? Will it see dual-core or quad-core?

cat/proc/cpuinfo will tell you information about your processor(s)
cat/proc/meminfo does the same for memory

32-bit Linux can use 32 processors/cores, and maximum of 4GB of memory (which includes not only RAM but also all the other memory addresses needed, so you usually get something around 3GB of usable RAM). USing kernel with PAE enabled will give you even more than that.

64-bit linux can address up to 64TB of physical RAM, I'm not quite sure how many processors/cores it can handle. Still a lot more than you'll be able to squeeze into any normal PC.

edit: World's current top 1 supercomputer runs Linux with 129600 cores. Although it's a cluster machine so they certainly didn't fit all those processors into single motherboard.. :D

kakashi_12
May 29th, 2009, 04:16 AM
good god. tb's of ram?! geez?!:popcorn: