PDA

View Full Version : Interview with marketing director from Microsoft about netbooks and Windows 7

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
The guy illuminates a few things that everybody has been wondering about lately. See what you think (http://blog.laptopmag.com/microsoft-defends-windows-7-starter-edition-for-netbooks-calls-linux-users-geeks) [laptopmag.com]. The interview is mainly focused on netbooks, but has lots of stuff about Windows 7 in it, too. This should, hopefully, clear up a lot of the confusion and madness that's been going round the web lately regarding Windows 7.

Choice quotes:

On Linux:This becomes a huge problem with retail; I’m selling a computer with Linux on it and I have no idea what environment they are going to use it in. Sometimes it is actually as simple as going to print something and nothing happens. If you’re a geek and are really into it, and are willing to invest the time to finding the resources to solve these problems, it’s a different story. But if you aren’t, then there’s no interest.

On desktop backgrounds on the Starter Edition:
You will get a standardized desktop, and you won’t have the ability to customize that.

On the three-app-cap:
We are pretty confident that people will be able to deal with the three-app limitation without a lot of hindrance.

On upgrading from the Starter Edition:
The real magic of WAU (Windows Anytime Upgrade) is that it doesn’t involve loading any more bits. It’s a 10-minute process that doesn’t do anything to your settings, files or programs.

On Dell's allegations about pricing:
We are doing what we think meets the needs of the market place and of our partners. I always get curious when I see comments made in the press about that because sometimes that feels like negotiation in the press, and I just don’t want to get baited into that.

On ARM-based netbooks:
We look at Windows CE as our OS for an offering like ARM.

billgoldberg
May 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
It's a good interview.

I agree with some things he says, I don't agree with others.

Win7 is a pretty decent OS and it will do good.

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
It's a good interview.

I agree with some things he says, I don't agree with others.

Win7 is a pretty decent OS and it will do good.

Yeah. I think he hit the nail on the head regarding Dell's statements about pricing.

Screwdriver0815
May 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
so the starter edition of Windows 7 has this 3 apps limitation... I mean on a Netbook the customer won't feel it so much, I think.
But what if a Computer Manufacturer brings it on a real PC? Will the customer still be satisfied?
I don't think so.

Its really interesting to see that Microsoft behaves like a car manufacturer. Only to be able to sell more of the more advanced products, which are in fact cheaper for them to develop, they intentional put in a lot of effort to worsen the base-line.

On the other hand I agree with him that a Netbook is only a secondary device and nearly nobody uses it as a full-spec computer.

Sometimes it is actually as simple as going to print something and nothing happens. If you’re a geek and are really into it, and are willing to invest the time to finding the resources to solve these problems, it’s a different story. But if you aren’t, then there’s no interest.
great, thanks Mr. Paterson for the compliment!
I've got my printer and scanner working in less than 10 Minutes by installing a driver and plugging it in, I got my cameraS working and download the pics by plugging them in, I got my Bluetooth working by plugging it in, I got my mobile synchronising by plugging it in or via Bluetooth... - I am a Geek!!! :D didn't know that... :)

Dimitriid
May 28th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Netbooks are really going to take a huge decrease in popularity. If it was me and I wasn't even a bit computer savy my choices would be either less than ideal Linux distros, crippled windows os and largely difficult to work with hardware making simple transition to either XP or a more friendly/supported Linux distro virtually impossible.

Yes, I guess I'd spend 200 extra and get an actual laptop instead.

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 02:15 PM
so the starter edition of Windows 7 has this 3 apps limitation... I mean on a Netbook the customer won't feel it so much, I think.
But what if a Computer Manufacturer brings it on a real PC? Will the customer still be satisfied?
I don't think so.

I don't think they will offer the Starter Edition on desktops. It would alienate way too many people. What bugs me about the three app cap is that it's a fabricated feature. He says,

Paterson:
The real magic of WAU (Windows Anytime Upgrade) is that it doesn’t involve loading any more bits. It’s a 10-minute process that doesn’t do anything to your settings, files or programs.

There is simply just a switch in the operating system that turns the cap on and off. They are effectively forcing customers to pay extra for something that's inherently worthless. No extra features are downloaded or installed. Nothing of value is added at all. The whole thing is completely artificial.

fatality_uk
May 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I don't think they will offer the Starter Edition on desktops. It would alienate way too many people. What bugs me about the three app cap is that it's a fabricated feature.

If your building an OEM system to a budget, the Home Starter edition will be very attractively priced for small PC's.

I can see a BIG FAIL for Microsoft around this one.

Either they want to kill of the netbook growth, which they haven't really had a great deal to do with, or squeeze some more $$$$'s from OEM builders.

Screwdriver0815
May 28th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I don't think they will offer the Starter Edition on desktops. It would alienate way too many people. What bugs me about the three app cap is that it's a fabricated feature. He says,

There is simply just a switch in the operating system that turns the cap on and off. They are effectively forcing customers to pay extra for something that's inherently worthless. No extra features are downloaded or installed. Nothing of value is added at all. The whole thing is completely artificial.
thats what I mean with my car manufacturer comparison. Its really crazy. They spend extra-effort for that! They really WANT to worsen the basic experience for the user.
The same is with the customisation of the desktop. With the startes edition, you can not customise it.
But I think it won't take a long time until some hackers found out how to remove this and then lots of illegal "patches" will be available to remove the limitations.

Maybe some cheap PC's will get the starters edition anyway. Like today the 199 euro PC's which have Vista home basic installed. What can you do with pure Vista home basic? Nearly nothing.

Netbooks are really going to take a huge decrease in popularity. If it was me and I wasn't even a bit computer savy my choices would be either less than ideal Linux distros, crippled windows os and largely difficult to work with hardware making simple transition to either XP or a more friendly/supported Linux distro virtually impossible.

Yes, I guess I'd spend 200 extra and get an actual laptop instead.
thats what I also did. At first I also thought about a Netbook but as I saw this Xandros and Linpus stuff... or the XP, squeezed into this tiny box... then I re-thought my plan and found a decent powerful Lenovo Laptop without operating system, new, nice and shiny for 200 Euros more. It works out-of-the-box with any Linux-distro and I did not have anything to fiddle around with it, except of installing the operating system.

BoyOfDestiny
May 30th, 2009, 06:57 AM
This guy's take on Linux... Great example, at least it wasn't about compiling a kernel.

Now about the 3 app limit, it's gone sadly. One of my favorite anti-features. :(
However:

Windows 7 Starter does not include:

* Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the “Windows Basic” or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.
* Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.
* The ability to switch between users without having to log off.
* Multi-monitor support.
* DVD playback.
* Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.
* Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.
* Domain support for business customers.
* XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/05/29/let-s-talk-about-windows-7-starter.aspx

As for the anytime upgrade, since no "bits" are changing, although I'd wager at least few change. One already has the full windows version, but pay money to "unlock" features.

For more details you can look at Microsoft's patent on it:
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/05/microsoft-receives-patent-for-restricting-operating-systems.ars

I like where it is heading. The restrictions are getting "in your face" at this point. Not to mention the behind the scenes DRM and Vista-based kernel...

Love it! I expect some more OS refugees. :popcorn:

monsterstack
May 30th, 2009, 07:04 AM
This guy's take on Linux... Great example, at least it wasn't about compiling a kernel.

Now about the 3 app limit, it's gone sadly. One of my favorite anti-features. :(
However:

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/default.aspx

As for the anytime upgrade, since no "bits" are changing, although I'd wager at least few change. One already has the full windows version, but pay money to "unlock" features.

For more details you can look at Microsoft's patent on it:
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/05/microsoft-receives-patent-for-restricting-operating-systems.ars

I like where it is heading. The restrictions are getting "in your face" at this point. Not to mention the behind the scenes DRM and Vista-based kernel...

Love it! I expect some more OS refugees. :popcorn:

Yeah, but Microsoft can easily spin things in their favour. "Look, we've removed the three application limitation! Aren't we nice guys!" It's odd that the restrictions in Starter Edition cost Microsoft extra money and effort. They even went to the trouble of getting a patent on intentionally gimping a computer system. In the proprietary world, cheaper is equal to worse quality. People will look at the cheaper Windows and expect it to be worse. They'll look at Linux and assume it must be completely worthless. Brilliant marketing, there.

MellonCollie
May 30th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Nevermind - the info has already been posted.