PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems icons and file types association

gillengam
May 28th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hi, on Ubuntu 9.04 (very good distribution) I need to develop with Perl, Ruby and Python.
I'd like associate a .png image to .pl files, another .png image to .rb files and another to .py files. When I double click on them I want open gedit. I tried but I can't do it. I know how to associate gedit to them (it's simple) but the problem is the icons. I can associate an icon to a single file (it's simple), but it is no good ... I want do it automatically.
Can you help me? Thank you very much.

gillengam

cb951303
May 28th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I don't understand you.

Do you want your ruby, pyhton etc.. executables to have specific icons like in windows?

gillengam
May 28th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I don't know if it's like Windows, however I'd like to have three images (icons), one for ruby source (.rb), one for perl source (.pl) and one for python source (.py) but ... with double click I want to open gedit. Is it possible? Thanks

gillengam

cb951303
May 28th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I don't know if it's like Windows, however I'd like to have three images (icons), one for ruby source (.rb), one for perl source (.pl) and one for python source (.py) but ... with double click I want to open gedit. Is it possible? Thanks

gillengam

ah I see, AFAIK you can't do that because, to linux, they are all text files
I may be wrong though...

Minsky
May 28th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I answered a similar question in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1155936&&

Also, check out the link in my last post in the thread. I hope that helps you out.