PDA

View Full Version : Flac or ogg 320 or others and why?

medic2000
May 28th, 2009, 09:30 AM
As the title says....

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I usually encode ripped CDs to Ogg 320kbps just because of the smaller file sizes. If I download something in flac, though, I usually leave it as it is. If I download mp3s or Oggs, I leave them as they are, too, because I don't want to degrade them any further by converting them to another format.

gn2
May 28th, 2009, 09:59 AM
.mp3

Why?

Compatibility.

cb951303
May 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM
To my ears, there is no difference between OGG 320 and FLAC (yes I know FLAC is lossless)
Since FLAC has a bigger file size, I would go with OGG

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 10:04 AM
.mp3

Why?

Compatibility.

If you are prepared to lose a hell of a lot of money, it's worth getting one of those iAudio players (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowon-IAudio-60GB-Portable-MediaPlayer/dp/B000YSD5SW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243501231&sr=8-4) [amazon.co.uk]. Massively overpriced, but it identifies itself as a generic USB device so it works on anything, has a huge disk, and manages to play MPEG1 Layer 1/2/3, WMA, FLAC, OGG Vorbis, OGG FLAC, Apple Lossless, AAC/AAC+, AC3, True Audio, Monkey Audio, MusePack, WavPack, G.726, and PCM files without complaint.

gn2
May 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM
If you are prepared to lose a hell of a lot of money, it's worth getting one of those iAudio players (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowon-IAudio-60GB-Portable-MediaPlayer/dp/B000YSD5SW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243501231&sr=8-4).

But that wouldn't make any difference to my car stereo or my household's range of assorted mobile phones ;)

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 10:27 AM
But that wouldn't make any difference to my car stereo or my household's range of assorted mobile phones ;)

Good point. But then you could always plug the device into your car's stereo and use it instead of your phone. :P

gn2
May 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Good point. But then you could always plug the device into your car's stereo and use it instead of your phone. :P

Nope that wouldn't work either, the car stereo reads directly from USB flash drive or SD card.
I just don't need (or want) a £200-odd quid portable media player.
If I did, I would buy a netbook ;)

binbash
May 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM
If the file size is not important, flac is the best because it is loseless.

.Maleficus.
May 28th, 2009, 11:13 AM
If I download something or rip a CD to my collection it's always FLAC. I'll make 192kbps MP3s if I want to put it on my iPhone but for music on my computer, FLAC.

billgoldberg
May 28th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I'm starting to switch to flac, for it's sound quality compared to mp3.

I don't use ogg.

Rainstride
May 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
As the title says....

depends on what you need and how much space you are working with.

if you want to make backups of your original cds, than i would use .flac that way if you need to burn a new copy it will be the same quality. its also great if you have a great sound card and a nice pair of headphones.

if you just want to add your music to your computer for you ipod or something like that, use ogg 320. it will use less space on your computer and music player.

pwnst*r
May 28th, 2009, 01:35 PM
If the file size is not important, flac is the best because it is loseless.

not only that, then you can change to whatever format you wish. all of my music is FLAC for archival purposes and home listening and some compressed for on the go.

pwnst*r
May 28th, 2009, 01:35 PM
dits also great if you have a great sound card and a nice pair of headphones.

..and a headphone amp!

Dimitriid
May 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'd love to use OGG but my cellphone won't read em, my car stereo won't read em, my work computer wont read em without me installing the codec ( which my admin promptly removes every few days anway ) and if I want to share with someone they ask me "what is this ogg thing? Are you trying to give me a virus!?"

MP3 and its terrible, grossly outdated audio quality is a necessary evil.

kelt65
January 15th, 2013, 10:38 PM
FLAC - disk space is cheap anyway. For recordings that are older, say from the 60's and before, OGG 320. I never use mp3 or any other format because the tags are horrible and limited, and since there is no "tag standard" for classical music, one has to make ones own standard, so flexibility in tags is a big issue.

For car listening or whatever I just convert a batch to mp3 on the fly. No problems.

nothingspecial
January 15th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Please don't bump old threads to the top.

Closed.