PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Webcam trouble... yeah I know...

NishiKotarou
May 28th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I am a complete and total idiot. Despite all that, I really love Ubuntu and I'm not giving up on her no matter what comes. I am trying to use a webcam (Pixart Imaging, Inc. Cammaestro 2.5DU/X-EYE/Orite SC-120/ICGear TravelCam/Easy Snap Snake Eye WebCam) and did enough research to determine that I needed a driver. The driver I need? GSPCAV1. Getting the driver was easy enough but I have absolutely no idea how to install it. So the file says I need to configure my kernel, and it tells me to type make [config|menuconfig|xconfig]; make dep into my terminal. It doesn't work, it probably isn't meant to, there's probably some part of that, that I'm supposed to just automatically know needs changing, but like I said, I'm an idiot.

Can someone, in the simplest terms possible, explain to me how to install this GSPCAV1? I know nothing about kernels, about programming and all that. The biggest accomplishment I've made all night is figuring out that lsusb tells me what kind of camera this is. HELP!

Not sure if it matters but I'm using the cam on Kopete.

HereInOz
May 28th, 2009, 09:27 AM
This stuff is a bit out of date, but it may just give you some clues as to where to go from here.

It is a different webcam, but it is the same driver.

Read carefully :-)

http://www.actionshrimp.com/2008/08/logitech-quickcam-e2500-on-ubuntu-skype/