PDA

View Full Version : Please vote for the future development of PCManFM. (file manager of LXDE)

PCMan
May 28th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Hi, all users of PCMan File Manager.
After more than two years of development, now LXDE became very active and more and more mature.
Recently, some developers joined us, and many new changes were made in our svn repository.
However, the core and the origin of the desktop, the file manager, PCManFM, didn't get improved for a period of time.
There are originally some plans, but due to dramtic changes in recent GTK+/glib/gnome/freedesktop.org/HAL, we have a dilemma now.

After this issue is settled, the development of the next-generation new PCManFM will be started soon!

We LXDE developers need your help to make the best decision for the future of PCManFM. Please vote here to let us know your opinions.
http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=0&t=456
Thank you all.

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM
As a sometimes-user of LXDE, I'm going to have to bump this.

SomeGuyDude
May 28th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Oh man, this one hurts.

I hate GNOME's giant pile of dependencies, and XFCE's aren't much better. PCManFM really is the #1 file manager in my experience, but I haven't a CLUE which of these options could work best. :\

My gut says for future usability, go with the GNOME dealie, but you're going to have to tell me: what will this offer over Nautilus?

I'm starting to get bad omens about the future of lightweight desktops...

Regenweald
May 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Only the strong survive...go with the gio/gvfs. Still make your fm as light and fast as possible. Best wishes LXDE team!

RaZe42
May 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM
My only problem with PCManFM is that you can't remove the "My Documents" on the desktop when you set it to draw/manage desktop icons.

Other than that, I like it :)

sertse
May 28th, 2009, 04:29 PM
This is an insane predicament.

gio/gvfs will all its consequences seems to be the only real answer, since it seems to be the "standard", We can only hope LXDE can work within those conditions (there was some mention in the thread about to making thier own gvfs-lite fork based in it...) to keep PCManFM light.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 28th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Looks like there's one option, guys: Get with the times or be stuck as the only ones maintaining old technology. I have a suspicion that, if somebody patched those issues (like the dependency on gnome-terminal in gvfs) they would be accepted upstream, so don't jump on the fork wagon too quickly.

GNOME is rapidly becoming the de-facto standard base for the Linux desktop (with KDE as another one and everything else kind of reimplementing parts of them), and I really hope other projects will accept this and start contributing to speed it up, upstream, instead of clinging to the past.

Oh, and kudos, sir, for asking your community their opinion. I only use LXDE every now and then on my N810, but quite like it and certainly appreciate the snappy file manager.

billgoldberg
May 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I won't register, but would vote on this:

Shift to gio/gvfs, accept gnome dependencies it brings, and try to maximize performance or try to fork gvfs to create a less gnome-dependent gvfs implementation.

I really like PCmanFM, it's blazing fast.

I use it on Fluxbox all the time.